Mystery and Crime Fiction posted March 20, 2010 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When someone crosses the line.....

A chapter in the book Flash Fiction

The Unforgivable

by Begin Again














"Agent Andrew Blake speaking."

"Scotland Yard calling. I have an urgent message for Agent Shannon Van Hayden."

"We're partners. Can I relay the message?"
 
“Hmmm … let me verify that.”

Andy heard muffled voices on the other end of the phone. Moments later, the caller returned and briefed him, stressing the importance of the message. He acknowledged it and hung up.

                                *****************************

Silence filled the idling armored vehicle. The driver's gloved hands gripped the steering wheel. The radio crackled. "Black Escalade approaching Main and Cutler."

"Roger." He shifted the vehicle into gear, flooring the gas pedal. Sweat dotted his forehead. The car propelled through the darkness, down the steep hill, barreling into the intersection.

Shannon's eyes flared as the vehicle slammed into her Escalade. A 747 roared overhead as it approached the airport. Thoughts of her parents flashed in her mind before she slipped into blackness.
 
Following only seconds behind her car, Andy radioed for medical assistance.

 As the overseas flight landed, Andy raced to Gate E9. His badge gained him immediate access.     
                  
"Mr. and Mrs. Van Hayden." He approached the elderly couple.

"Nice to see you, Andy. Where's Shannon?" Mr. Van Hayden scanned the area.

"Yes, where's our daughter? Nothing's wrong, is it?" Shannon's mother clung to her husband's arm.

"She was involved in an accident. Hit and run. They transported her to Mercy Hospital for observation."

"Henry, we must go to the hospital. Shannon needs us."

"Ma'am, my instructions are to take you directly to your hotel room. For safety reasons, until we're sure this wasn't a hit."

Mrs. Hayden gasped. "A hit! Someone intentionally tried to murder our daughter?"

"We don't know that yet, ma'am, but we're taking precautions."


At the hotel, Andy expedited the couple's registration. Settling them in their room, he promised to check on Shannon's condition. Double-checking the adjoining doors, he left the suite.


The following morning, uniformed officers milled the hotel's tenth floor hallway.  A dozen pairs of eyes turned as the elevator opened. A bruised Shannon stepped off the lift. A murmur rippled down the hallway.

Exiting the crime scene, Andy hastened toward her.

"What the hell's going on, Andy? Where are my parents? Whose room is that?" Words tumbled from her mouth.

Andy wrapped his arm around his partner, pulling her away from the hotel room. Shannon resisted. Fear glazed her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Babe. Your parents are dead."

Bile gurgled in her throat. She fought to remain focused. "Nooo! There's some mistake. It can't be."

"Looks like a robbery. They were both shot in the head. The maid found them about thirty minutes ago."

Shannon's knees buckled. An officer brought a chair. She collapsed into it. Her mind raced, trying to register what was happening. Her distraught partner knelt by the chair, a pair of black leather gloves in his hand.

"I don't understand. How did you get here so fast? Did the police call you?" Tears glistened in her eyes.

"Your mother left her gloves in my car last night. I was returning them. The police were here when I arrived."

"Her gloves?" Shannon's eyes shifted to his hands. "I’ve got to see their luggage." She lowered her voice. "There's a document in a secret compartment of my father's suitcase and my mother’s diamond ring."

"I'm afraid everything's gone, Shannon."

"Are you sure? How could they have checked everything so quickly?"

"I did it."

"You did, but why?"

"I answered your private line yesterday. The caller said they were from Scotland Yard. I know about the microchip in the ring.”

A tear rolled down her cheek. "Excuse me, Andy; I've got to make a call. Let the Chief know what's happened." She stood and walked away.

Andy hurried into the hotel room to search the luggage.



Fifteen minutes later, CIA Agents swarmed the tenth floor, guns drawn.

"Andy Blake, you're under arrest."

"Are you crazy? For what? I'm one of you."

Shannon stepped forward. "My mother never wore gloves. She's allergic to leather." She slapped his face. "Cuff him!




Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Word Count 685
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.