General Fiction posted April 22, 2010 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The mind of a five year old.......

A chapter in the book Flash Fiction

I'm Sorry To Tell You This.....

by Begin Again


















Mama's Place was nestled beneath the pines along the beautiful shores of Lake Wannabe, a favorite fishing and hiking area. It was early Spring and the air was still crisp. Mike and his two children had spent the morning bass fishing and were now in search of food.

Entering the small cafe, Mike and his five-year-old daughter, Beth slid into a booth. Fifteen-year-old Jimmy chose one across the aisle, hoping to catch the eye of the pretty little waitress; tight jeans, snug t-shirt, long pony-tail, delicious smile and all.

While Mike ordered bowls of soup and cocoa for the three, Jimmy hummed Pretty Woman and attempted his best James Dean impression. Rolling her eyes, she disappeared into the kitchen with their order.

"Daddy, can I ask you something about God?" Beth's serious tone caught Mike off-guard.

"Sure, honey, what is it?" Bible stories and proverbs rushed through his head as he prepared himself.

"Why does God make girls so beautiful?"

Relieved, he answered, "Oh that's an easy one, sweetheart. God made you and Mommy and all the other girls beautiful so men would love and adore you." He smiled his biggest Proud Daddy smile at her.

"Hmmm!" Glancing at her drooling brother, Beth continued, "Well, why'd he make boys like Jimmy so dumb?"

Chuckling at his daughter's innocence, he responded, "So you'll feel sorry and love us, too."

At that moment, the waitress sat a bowl of soup in front of James. Grabbing his chance, he quipped, "Hey, Waitress, there's a frog in my soup."

Setting the other two bowls in front of Beth and Mike, she gave James the biggest smile. "That's because all our flies are on vacation."

Beth burst into giggles and squealed, "Daddy, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your son hasn't got a chance. Only Mommy will love him."



Write Me Some Dialogue writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
This writing prompt requires you to write your most creative and believable two person dialogue(conversation)from one of the six topics listed in the announcement.

Recognized


Word count - 308

Thank you Surmed for the marvelous little girl's picture...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.