General Fiction posted July 30, 2009 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Faires, Fantasies and the Real Facts of LIfe!

A chapter in the book Flash Fiction

Coming Home Again

by Begin Again

200 Word Flash Fiction Contest Winner 



















Katie pulled her 1965 Ford Falcon into the garage and closed the door. She leaned back and a sigh escaped her lips. Ten years ago, she'd left her mother's home, promising never to return. Long hours and hard work had changed her life. She was happy until she received a phone call she couldn't ignore.

A lifetime of alcohol and drug abuse claimed her mother's life, leaving her sisters alone. Their father, a despicable example of the human race, had disappeared shortly after their birth. His last known address was Alabama State Prison. So, Katie was officially their legal guardian.

Saying goodnight to the babysitter, Katie tiptoed into the bedroom. The twins were asleep. Their black curls covered the pillows. Their favorite fantasy storybook about fairies that lived underwater in the deep blue sea was open on the nightstand. Katie's eyes filled with tears. She knew it was silly, but she couldn't help but be afraid. These two innocent children were her responsibility now.

Somewhere down the block, Katie could hear screaming, a gunshot, and finally silence. She shivers, remembering. Soon the sirens will come and go. There is no justice in the ghetto.

Kissing the twins, Katie promises them a new life...starting tomorrow. Their suitcases are packed.


Writing Prompt
Write a story that is between 200 - 210 words. The trick is you must use the following words: fantasy - garage - ghetto - falcon - pillow - race - underwater - block - justice - silly - ignore. Words may be used in different formats (for example: ignore or ignoring)

200 Word Flash Fiction
Contest Winner

Recognized


Word Count 208
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.