General Fiction posted December 19, 2022 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
short short story

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Run Through

by Bill Schott

 
 
Dave patted the pockets of his overcoat. He assured himself again that the gun, knife, garrote, and grenade were there.

Entering the office door, he saw his three partners sitting about, enjoying the amenities that a successful business could afford.

Of course, the business was not successful, as the partners' spending outpaced their profits. They were about to file for bankruptcy.

The business had been doing well before Dave allowed his old college friends in to help expand. Instead, they partied, invested poorly, and embezzled the rest.

Pulling a .38 from his right coat pocket, Dave shot each partner in one of their knees. As they screamed in agony from the floor, he withdrew the other items from his coat.

Alan, who had invested in pork bellies during a porcine plague, was first. A bullet to his abdomen sent him further to the floor. Dave garroted him as the others watched in astonishment.

Next, Dave shot Barry in the breadbasket. While he struggled on the floor,
Dave pulled a knife across the man's throat. Blood painted the office.

Collin was to be throat-cut as well, but Dave sensed that armed officers were on their way. Collin received another bullet to his heart.

Now to Dave, who had caused all of this misery by trying to help his friends do what he had done, make it.

Producing a grenade from his pocket, Dave pulled the pin to ignite the fuse, then counted until the blast.

Dave woke suddenly. He was drenched with sweat. He had fallen asleep in his car outside his office building.

Exiting the car, he headed to the elevator and rode it to the fifth floor where he then walked to his office. Before entering, he patted his coat pockets on his overcoat.
 

 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.