Romance Fiction posted June 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ali goes to town, again.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 13A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 24 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Once outside, Jewel came over to the edge of the corral for some pats. As Alexandra rubbed her muzzle, her eyes met Cordero's. "I've been selfish. You're tired, aren't you? I shouldn't have kept you out."

"I am. The last few days were pretty hard, but I want to spend time with you. I missed you."

"I missed you too. Let's go inside. I bet your mom has ice cream."

He grinned. "I'm sure she does."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 13 A

Monday morning when Alexandra came into the dining room for breakfast, Jorge and Rosa were drinking coffee and talking. As she glanced around the room, Jorge said, "If you're looking for Cord, I think the lack of sleep finally caught up with him. He hasn't come out yet."

"Cord mentioned Friday evening he was tired."

"He was and then Saturday he was up early to retrieve our bull and return him to the herd."

Rosa sipped her coffee. "Sunday, we had church and then he rode to the pasture to make sure the cameras were working." She paused a moment. "I'm wondering if we should put some security cameras around the house."

Jorge nodded. "Wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll check into it today."

Standing Rosa said, "Breakfast is finished. I'll put some back for Cord."

They were almost finished eating when Cordero rushed in, slipping his arms into his shirt sleeves. "Sorry, I overslept." He noticed Alexandra's eyes twinkling as she stared at his chest. Buttoning his shirt, he winked. "I'm glad you approve."

Jorge and Rosa tried not to laugh at her blush but failed.

Cordero kissed his mom's cheek. "Sorry about that."

"Are you sorry you're late or sorry for making Ali blush?"

He grinned. "How about both?" His eyes met Ali's. "I couldn't resist."

Still blushing, Alexandra said, "I can tell you caught up on your sleep."

"I did. Now, I'm starving."

Accepting a coffee refill, Jorge asked, "What are everybody's plans for today? Rosa?"

"It's Monday, so laundry." She smiled at Alexandra. "Today's a French dinner, correct?"

"It is. I'm not sure what, but I'll figure it out. I need to go to town to get a prepaid cell phone. I have Amy Harding's address. I want to mail it to her so we can communicate and see if she's interested in getting the child support she deserves."

Rosa nodded. "That's really nice. You can borrow my SUV. I won't need it."

Chuckling, Jorge teased, "Try not to raise a ruckus like you did last Monday."

Swiping him with her napkin, Rosa said, "Stop it, Ali's helped four women."

Jorge raised his coffee cup in Alexandra's direction. "That you have. I'm proud of you." He faced his son. "What are your plans?"

"I'm riding to the east pasture. I need to check on some mares. Last week it looked like one of them is due in a couple of weeks. I want to move her to the barn."

"You usually house them in your barn. Are you sure we have the space?"

"We do." Cordero's eyes met Alexandra's. "Since I'm staying here for now, I want her close."

Standing Rosa asked, "Will you be home for lunch?"

"I doubt it." Cordero took a bite of eggs. "Ali, I was thinking about working on Jewel's bit and bridle late this afternoon. Think you'll be finished stirring up trouble?"

She blew out a deep breath. "I'm only going to a store, buying a phone, and to the post office. Maybe the grocery store. How much trouble could I possibly get into? You're greatly exaggerating my trouble making ability." Standing, she headed toward the kitchen.

Cordero picked up his cup and followed. "Do I need to apologize, and can I have more coffee?"

Alexandra filled his cup. "Yes, for the coffee, and probably no to the apology. I hate to admit it, but you've come to my rescue on more than one occasion." She hesitated a moment. "I think I'll see if I can finish the paperwork and file it with the court while in town. That'll get the case in motion."

His eyes widened. "So you'll stir up trouble?"

"Shouldn't. Rogers won't find out about it until tomorrow or the following day."

"All right. Just be careful."

"This trip will be uneventful."

He held her hand. "I need to get going. If you have any problems, you have my number. Call, I'm serious."

"I will." As his eyebrows crunched together, she added, "I promise."

He started to lean in for a kiss, but glanced toward his mom. "I'll see you later this afternoon."

"I'll look forward to it." Alexandra watched him leave and then continued cleaning up from breakfast.

*****
Later that morning, Alexandra came into the kitchen. "Do you feel like Ratatouille with pear tarts for dessert?"

Rosa smiled. "Sounds good. Do you have the recipe?"

"I do."

Both ladies reviewed it for needed groceries.

The list was completed, and then Alexandra left for town.

Alexandra parked by the grocery store and decided to walk to the places she needed to go. Her first stop was the courthouse so she could file the appropriate papers. She checked her watch. This late Rogers won't find out about it until at least Wednesday.

After going to a store to buy the cell phone, she stopped by the post office to mail it with a letter introducing herself and explaining what she hoped to accomplish. Alexandra paused to say a short prayer hoping Amy would seek the help she felt was badly needed. All I can do is wait for her to call. It's in Amy's hands now.

The final stop was the grocery store. Alexandra removed the list from her purse and scanned it. This shouldn't take long. It's short. She paused. Ice cream's not on it. I'd better get some.

After putting the groceries in the backseat of the SUV, Alexandra walked to the driver's side.

As she opened the door, a man grabbed her from behind. His left hand pointed a bowie knife at her side and his right arm went around her shoulders.

She stiffened when she felt the knife's tip prick just above her waist.

"Shut up and walk," he sneered.



~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Elote (eh-LOH-teh), also known as Mexican street corn, is salty, sweet, crunchy, and creamy in every bite. It hits all the right flavor notes, especially hot off the grill in the summer months when fresh corn is at its peak and abundantly available at every market. It's a popular street food in Mexico and can be served as a snack or side dish.
~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Rico: Cord's best friend since kindergarten

Luke:  All around bad guy



 



Recognized

#15
June
2022


Thank you google images of examples of a bowie knife. I made changes as I posted today. I hope I didn't leave in or take out needed or unneeded words or punctuation. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.