Romance Fiction posted June 12, 2022 Chapters:  ...21 22 -23- 24... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joyce confronts Cord.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 12 D

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 21 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After accepting his bandana, Alexandra continued, "Yesterday after meeting Joyce..." She exhaled. "I know I had no right, but it hurt and forced me to realize how much I care for you."

He took her hand.

"I know my job and family are in New York City." Alexandra wiped moisture from her eyes. "I want to see where this relationship goes, but there are so many red flags and they're flying high."

"I know. The major problem is you live in New York City and me here."

"I don't see how we can get around that."

"If our relationship continues to grow, we'll have to work out a compromise like we did with the pizza." Cordero motioned for Rico to bring the pizza.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 12 D

After the pizzas were eaten and Cordero had paid, Rico asked, "Are you on your way to the rodeo?"

"I've been so busy I'd forgotten it was in town. Ali, I bet you've never been to a rodeo? Want to go?"

"You'd be correct. I'd like that."

*****
By the time they found a seat toward the top of the bleachers, the rodeo had started, and the barrel racing was almost over. Saddled bronco riding was scheduled next. Cordero described every detail of the event. When the steer wrestling began, he explained it as they watched.

Before the bull riding event, Alexandra grabbed Cordero's arm and squeezed it. His eyes met hers and he saw fear. "As much as I enjoy the closeness, what's wrong?"

She released a deep breath and pointed. "That Luke guy."

Cordero nodded. "I won't leave you alone. You'll be safe."

"But he tried to shoot you. Do you have your gun?"

"No. I didn't think I'd need it during a ladies' meeting at the church."

"Funny."

"I'm not trying to be funny. I'm being honest." He ran his finger along her cheek. "I promise you and I'll be safe."

She nodded and faced the arena as a bull with a rider entered.

Again, Cordero helped her understand the event, but paused as the next bull and rider appeared through the gate. "That's our bull."

"What?" Alexandra's eyes widened.

"That's our missing bull."

"How can you be sure?"

"See the brand on his left hip. It's our Rancho de Bufalos Salvajes (Wild Buffalo Ranch) brand but it's been tampered with." He pointed. "If you get a chance, look at his right front hoof. It'll have a lavender Christian fish on it." When Alexandra's eyes widen, he nodded. "I know. Mom's idea." He glanced around. "I'm sure Sam Baily's here. I need to find him. There's a small brand inside his left ear." He placed his hand on the bleacher seat and jumped down before he held up his hands. "Jump, I'll catch you."

"It's too high. What if you drop me?"

"I won't. I need to find Sam. I'm not leaving you alone especially with Luke hanging around. Jump."

"But..."

"But nothing. I won't allow you to get hurt."

Alexandra closed her eyes and jumped.

As Cordero caught her, his hands slid her blouse up, exposing most of her stomach. He adjusted it. "Sorry about that and the position my hands ended. It wasn't on purpose."

"I'm sure it wasn't, but I have a feeling you enjoyed it."

He grinned and winked. "I plead the fifth." He took her hand. "I'm betting Sam's by the holding pens."

The closer they got to the holding pens, the more comments and wolf calls Alexandra received. Cordero blew out air. "This isn't working. I need to find a safe place for you." He scanned the area. "I've got it. Come on."

At the announcer's booth, Cordero led her into the small, enclosed area. "Hello, Frank."

Frank's eyes widened. "Ladies and gentlemen, I have a treat for you. Cordero Ortiz just entered my booth. Welcome him. He still holds the steer wrestling record and one of the best saddled bronco riders I've ever seen. Give it up for Cordero Ortiz."

As the crowd cheered, Cordero removed his cowboy hat, waved it, and greeted the fans. When it ended, Cordero whispered, "Please turn off the mic. I need a favor."

With the mic off, Frank asked, "How can I help?"

"I need to go behind the holding pens and it's no place for a lady. Can she stay here until I return? I need to find Sam Baily."

"Of course."

Cordero started to leave then stopped. "Sorry. Ali, meet Frank. Frank this is Alexandra."

Frank offered his hand. "Glad to meet you. A friend of Cord's is a friend of mine."

Accepting his hand, she said, "Please call me Ali." She watched Cordero leave. "Be careful."

"I will."

Sitting in the announcer's booth, Alexandra was able to follow Cordero's movement. She saw him speak with Sam and then they went to the bulls' holding pen. With numerous men helping control the bull, Cordero verified the brand inside the bull's ear.

While Sam called for back-up, Cordero returned to the booth. "Thank you, Frank."

Frank nodded. "I'm guessing there's an ownership question about that bull."

"You'd be correct. He came up missing a few weeks ago. Sam and his deputies are taking care of it. We'll get it tomorrow morning." Cordero held out his hand. "Ali, let's go home. I don't want you involved if there's trouble." He patted Frank's shoulder. "Thanks again."

*****
At home Cordero parked and checked his watch. "It's fairly early, what would you like to do?"

"How about checking Bendecida and saying good night to Jewel?"

"Sounds like a plan." Cordero cupped her elbow and turned toward the barn.

As they turned, they heard a car coming down the lane. Cordero's eyebrows rose. "I don't recognize it. I wonder who it is."

When the car stopped, Joyce climbed out, rushed to Cordero, and yelled, "I waited for hours! You stood me up! How dare you!" She glared at Alexandra. "I guess you didn't give him the message. I told you we were getting back..."

"Ali, go to the barn," interrupted Cordero. "I'll be there in a few minutes." He watched Alexandra until she was inside. "There's no reason involving her in your rant. I explained when I left Houston we were over. I made it clear. I was given the message and left one at the restaurant stating I declined."

"You should've shown up in person. I never got it."

Cordero removed his phone from his back pocket and scrolled down. "Ellen texted me after she gave you the message. See? As far as I'm concerned we're finished." He turned to leave.

Joyce grabbed his arm. "You're not walking away." When he faced her and yanked his arm away, she continued, "I've waited for you to come to your senses. You have to be bored with this lifestyle. Besides we were good together."

"We were never good together. There were problems long before I left Houston. For one, you're always angry just like now. We never discussed any problems because of your anger. You never listened. It was all about you and what you wanted. I hated city life and still do. You need to leave. You're embarrassing yourself." He turned and left.

Joyce continued her rant.

*****
Alexandra knelt next to Bendecida. "Your life's simple. All you need to do is eat and sleep." She cringed when she heard Joyce's elevated voice. After a few moments, she covered her ears. When a hand touched her shoulder, she jumped.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." When she smiled, Jim said, "Let's go to the tack room. You won't hear them, but we'll be able to hear Cord when he comes into the barn."

Inside the tack room, Alexandra stared at the photos on the wall. "These are all of Cord."

"They are. He excelled at rodeos and won all sorts of trophies and quite a bit of money."

"Why'd he quit?"

"That's a question you'll need to ask him."

Jim heard Cordero calling for Alexandra and opened the door. "Boss, I brought her in here."

When Cordero entered, Alexandra walked up to him and put her hand on his arm. "I'm sorry, I've caused trouble."

Cordero drew her into a hug. "You did nothing wrong. This is all Joyce. In Houston, I made it clear we were over. She didn't accept it."

Alexandra stepped back. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

She studied his eyes for a moment before she walked over to the photos. "Why'd you quit?"

"It's a nomadic life. I was only in a place for a short while, a different hotel every few days. Always setting up and taking down camp. I like stability. Winning was great, but it wasn't enough. I went to college and then ended up back here."

Cordero took her hand. "Let's check on Jewel and then go inside." He faced Jim. "I accidently found our bull. We'll pick him up first thing in the morning. We'll leave here at seven o'clock. Will you let the guys know?" Jim nodded. "Thank you for taking care of Ali."

Jim grinned. "No problem, Boss. Tomorrow you ready to start Jewel with a bit?"

"I think it's time."

Once outside, Jewel came over to the edge of the corral for her pets. As Alexandra rubbed her muzzle, her eyes met Cordero's. "I've been selfish. You're tired, aren't you? I shouldn't have kept you out."

"I am. The last few days were pretty hard, but I want to spend time with you. I missed you."

"I missed you too. Let's go inside. I bet your mom has ice cream."

He grinned. "I'm sure she does."



~~~~~
I'll probably post next Saturday. We'll be traveling back to Corpus Christie. Andrew, my third son, and his family will be there for the week. I'm blessed to be able to spend time with family, but to be honest all this traveling is wearing me out. In a happy way. LOL
~~~~~

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Elote (eh-LOH-teh), also known as Mexican street corn, is salty, sweet, crunchy, and creamy in every bite. It hits all the right flavor notes, especially hot off the grill in the summer months when fresh corn is at its peak and abundantly available at every market. It's a popular street food in Mexico and can be served as a snack or side dish.
~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Joyce: Cords' ex-girlfriend

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Rico: Cord's best friend since kindergarten

Luke:  All around bad guy



 



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you google images of examples of a saddled bronco rider. I made changes as I posted today. I hope I didn't leave in or take out needed or unneeded words or punctuation. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.