General Poetry posted January 14, 2019 Chapters:  ...259 260 -261- 262... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Quatrains, 10-9-8-10 Meter

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

The Cougar

by Treischel

 
One night my tent was shaken by a scream.
Wondering, if this was just a dream.
It could have been a wailing child,
or yet a cat out stalking in the wild.
 
Then I was struck with the realization,
this was not night’s  imagination.
No child is on my mountain top
where I cling to one narrow stone outcrop.
 
Unzipping from my down-filled sleeping bag,
I presume this trip has hit a snag,
and as the sun began to rise
I looked about the scene with squinting eyes.
 
Well, there she stood in shining silhouette,
an apex predator, deadly threat.
There and then, I began to pray.
She sniffed the air, aloofly walked away.

 




When you are out in nature, you may become part of the food chain. I don't carry a gun, but I do carry a Bowie knife and a stout walking stick. And usually I am not alone. When I lived on Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado (1985 to 1991), in the fall, the deer would migrate lower down the mountain, where homes were. The mountain lions would often follow. Occasionally, a jogger would be attacked.

The Cougar (Puma concolor), is also commonly known as the Puma, Mountain Lion, Panther or Catamount, depending on the region it is found in. Its range, from the Canadian Yukon to the southern Andes of South America, is the widest of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere. Cougars are the largest of the small cats. The coat is typically tawny like that of the lion, which is why it was initially called the "mountain lion". Despite its size, it is not typically classified among the "big cats" because it cannot roar, lacking the specialized larynx and hyoid apparatus to facilitate a roar. Instead, it gives out a high pitched scream, although these screams are often misinterpreted to be the calls of other animals or even humans. Cougars sometimes voice low-pitched hisses, growls, and purrs, as well as chirps and whistles, many of which are comparable to those of domestic cats.

This poem is a set of Quatrains in 10-9-8-10 meter.
This format uses the Quatrain as its primary stanzaic method, but its structure is syllabic, having line lengths 10-9-8-10 syllables long. The meter gives this form an atypical flow, as you can't hold an iambic, which allows the poet to perform unusual poetic gymnastics in the lines. A Hybrid between iambic and ballad meter.
The rhyme scheme is coupled aabb rhyming.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on October 2017.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.