General Poetry posted January 6, 2019 Chapters:  ...260 261 -262- 263... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Awdl - Hir a Thoddaid

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Rose Bouquet

by Treischel

 
Bouquets of roses make a perfect gift,
as mother’s birthday blues may get a lift.
Her lonely spirits, then, are sure to shift
once lovely rose-filled fragrances are sniffed!
Response from grateful moms are often swift,
and reinforce that bonds shall never rift.
Emotions set adrift become repaired,
as roses shared are certain to uplift.

 




Mother/daughter relationships aren't always great, but a bouquet of beautiful and fragrant roses on her birthday never hurt. These were a gift for my wife, Karen from her daughter, Jodette (Jodi), this year.

The format of this poem is an Awdl - Hir a Thoddaid
An Awdl - Hir a Thoddaid is a Welsh form of poetry. There are twelve Awdl forms. An Awdl is a Welsh ode.

This form contains a ten syllable quatrain followed by a Thoddaid.
A Hir is a set of four Isosyllabic (10 Syllables, no fixed meter) lines with the same mono-rhymed endline.
A Thoddaid is the couplet with the cross rhyme aspect. All lines of each stanza, except for the penultimate one, rhyme together in the conventional way.
The penultimate (second to last) line rhymes with them all in an unconventional way - an inline syllable. Furthermore, the word at the end of the penultimate line rhymes with a word somewhere in the middle of the last line.
The Hir can have 6 lines, rather than the 4 used here, but all its lines must always mono-rhyme together. Frequently the stanzas are blended together without blank lines between, as I have chosen here, to give it a more Welsh feel.

Once Again,
A poem of either 6 or 8 lines.
Stanzaic: Consisting of a Hir (being either a mono-rhymed quatrain or sestet,
and a toddaid which is a couplet with interlaced rhyme.
Isosyllabic: 10 syllables
Rhyme Scheme: aaaa(ab)(ba), where the letters in parens show how the inline rhyme goes.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on September 19, 2018.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.