General Fiction posted October 12, 2016 Chapters: -Prologue- 1 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
the Adventures of Hershy, a Siamese cat

A chapter in the book The Adventures of Hershy

Sample- The Adventures of Hershy

by Dawn Munro


(The dinner company has arrived, and introductions made -- Mr. Barnes's employer. Mrs. Barnes is busy hanging up the boss's coat... And then continuing..)

"Hershy, NO!" she cried, just a little too late. Twelve pounds of chocolate -point Siamese launched itself at a very surprised Gail Winters. The startled woman managed to shove him midair as he flew at her, but she tottered for a few seconds like she might lose her footing. Clinging to the doorjamb in the aftermath of the kitty tornado, she shook her head from side to side, dazed. She looked as if, for just a moment, she was wondering if she’d found herself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" said Anne. "Are you alright?"

Hershy sat licking himself at Gail's feet where he'd landed, unharmed, and appearing for the entire world like he didn't know what all the fuss was about.

"I'm fine," Gail replied. Her face was a bit pale, and two bright, red spots had appeared on her cheeks. She brushed at her ruffled, white blouse. "I was just surprised, that's all.” She bent to the cat, cooing.  “Well, aren't you a handsome kitty," she said, stroking Hershy's silken coat.

"Oh my, there seems to be something odd all over him. It’s, ah, a little oily.”  Gail Winters rubbed her fingers together and blushed, her cheeks now bright pink.

Daniel and Lizzie stood paralyzed, mouths agape, both wondering which of them was in big trouble when the dinner company left.

"Daniel, go into the bathroom and get Mrs. Winters a clean, damp cloth, please," Anne Barnes said, her voice making it very clear that both children would hear about this when their father's boss had gone. “Please, Gail, come and sit down. Danny will bring you something to wipe that mess off your fingers. Or would you prefer to use the guest bathroom yourself? It’s just down the hall.”

“Oh, it’s fine, really. Please don’t trouble yourself.”

Daniel turned to fetch a washcloth without a single word.

"I'm so sorry," Anne said again, and then her jaw dropped in horror. At Gail’s feet, there was Hershy, sweetly curling himself around Gail’s ankles, purring. He looked very proud of himself, as streaks of greasy, orange, spaghetti sauce marked Gail's legs like bracelets.

"Oh, Hershy!" Anne cried, reaching for him.

Suddenly, Mr. Barnes burst out laughing. Gail soon joined in, the two of them hooting like it was the funniest thing in the world to have this silly cat making a mess of John Barnes’s boss.

"Well, I don't see what's all that humorous," said Anne, her worried face not breaking a smile. And then she, too, could not help herself. She joined them, dabbing her eyes as she laughed so hard, tears threatened to make a further mess of the mascara she’d been applying when Hershy got up to his mischief.

The happy sound filled the living room. It was a welcome relief--in spite of the disastrous start to the evening, it seemed everyone was in good humor. They settled, making themselves comfortable, John in the big tub chair beside the coffee table, and Anne and Gail on the sofa. Daniel brought the washcloth back to the bathroom, still not saying a word, and returned to the hall, sitting down on an antique loveseat.

Elizabeth quietly hurried over and scooped up her naughty kitty before Hershy could join the ladies on the couch.

 "M-EE-OORR-OW," Hershy cried loudly from her arms. It was almost as if he were saying, ‘See, it's no big deal. Now about that delicious sauce...’


~~~
The book continues, of course; this is just the start of Hershy's mischief...(*grin*)
Love, Dawn
(Oh, and Hershy)



Recognized


On Amazon and in the Kindle store... Find my books:
https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Munro/e/B01MXI535I

(I gave a copy to my pastor's mother at Christmas, 2022, and she loved it -- a rave review!) D Munro

Top reviews in other countries:

by author, Patrick G Cox --
5.0 out of 5 stars An adventurous cat gets up to mischief
Reviewed in the United States on October 23, 2017
Verified Purchase
This is an excellent book for young readers. Hershy the Siamese cat is, like most cats, curious and adventurous, but his adventures nearly cost him his loving family and home. Luckily for Hershy, all is well that ends well.
~~
by author, Margaret R. Snowdon --
5.0 out of 5 stars
Reviewed in the United States on October 11, 2017
A story for kids of all ages indeed! What a treat! Dawn Munro is a talented storyteller as well as a poet. The Adventures of Hershy is an enchanting story. Dawn has the power to draw you in right from the start and keep you turning the pages.
~~
About the Author:
Dawn Munro is an author and poet living in west Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She grew up in Northern Ontario reading the likes of Nancy Drew, and the Hardy Boys, in addition to classics like Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, and Huckleberry Finn. Her fascination with reading and writing began almost before she could walk. Writers like James Patterson, Stephen King, and Jodi Picoult are favorites of hers, as well as poets such as Dylan Thomas, Robert Frost, and William Wordsworth, but it's her love of story-telling and children that helped her to create this charming tale. Find her poetry and other books in the Kindle Store.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Dawn Munro All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Dawn Munro has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.