General Poetry posted September 21, 2016 Chapters:  ...245 246 -247- 248... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Progresso Quattro

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Hummingbirds

by Treischel



Such stunning wonders are the Hummingbirds.
They zig and zag 'round things that they move towards,
in frantic flights too wonderful for words.

A Ruby-Throated Hummingbird flew by.
It wings gyrating fast, so that they thrum.
Like tiny helicopter she can fly.
Now, listen closely! Her wings seem to hum.

Their colors are magnificent, when seen,
and this one is a lovely emerald green.
Its belly is displayed in creamy white.
Its tail is tipped in fancy black highlights.
Her pointed beak is very long and lean.

While at my feeder, hovering in style,
this bird gives every flower her regards.
Then quickly dips, and backs out afterwards.
So nimble, yet she really is agile.
I watched. Her antics made me break a smile.
Such stunning wonders are the Hummingbirds!






I captured these images of a humming bird at the feeder on my back deck, sipping nectar in flight. They are beautiful and amazing tiny birds. This one is a female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. The male has the ruby throat while the female does not. The Ruby-Throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) is a species that generally spends the winter in Central America and migrates to North America for the summer to breed. It is by far the most common hummingbird seen east of the Mississippi River. Both males and females of any age are aggressive toward other hummingbirds. They may defend territories, such as a feeding territory, attacking and chasing other hummingbirds that enter. They have long, blade-like wings that, unlike the wings of other birds, connect to the body only from the shoulder joint. This adaptation allows the wing to rotate almost 180 degrees, enabling the bird to fly not only forward but backward, and to hover in mid-air, flight capabilities that are similar to insects and unique among birds. Hummingbird wings beat up to 80 times per second. Source: Wikipedia.

This poem is a Progress Quattro.
The Progresso Quattro - created by our very own Fanstorian, Just2Write (Aka: H. R. Jones) - uses 4 progressive stanzas in iambic Pentameter, comprising of a Tercet, Quatrain, Quintain, and a Sestet in that order. 18 lines in length.
Rhyme scheme is optional, but at least one of the rhyme sounds from the Tercet must appear in the final Sestet.
Each of the stanzas builds on the theme of the Tercet.
It is similar to a Italian Heroic Sonnet with 18 lines. The Italian Sonnets do not have ending couplets. The difference between the Progresso Quattro is that the Heroic Italian Sonnet, is broken into 3 or 5 parts, and the Progresso Quattro is broken into 4 parts.
For this poem, I modified the Quintain's rhyme scheme to, ddeed,and picked up the "a" rhyme from the Tercet, made the Tercet mono-rhymed, and included it in the Sestet, as: faaffa. I also repeated the first line of the poem as the last line (not a requirement).
So, the poem's total rhyme scheme is:
Aaa bcbc ddeed faaffA.

These images were all taken by the author himself on August 13, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.