General Poetry posted July 23, 2016 Chapters:  ...248 249 -250- 251... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Nonet

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Butterfly Go My Way

by Treischel



Yellow Swallowtail was chased today.
When spotted, bug just flew away.
Zigged & zagged over the yard.
Getting a pose was hard.
Its markings are why,
just had to try.
Butterfly
go my
way.







It finally did. Butterflies are difficult to photograph at times. I chased this one all over my yard. They flit about and alight for only a short time, then off again they go. I wanted to get a shot of this one with its wings open, but never did.

This is an Eastern Yellow Tiger Swallowtail.
The Yellow Tiger Swallowtail butterfly is classified as Papilio Glaucas. Papilio is Latin for 'butterfly'. The names of Greek heroes are applied to the swallowtails. Glaucus was a Greek prophetic sea-god, born mortal and turned immortal upon eating a magical herb. It is a strong flier with distinctive yellow and black striped markings on its wings and body (some females are brown or black, mimicking the poisonous pipevine swallowtail).This relatively common butterfly has a wingspan of 3.5-6.5 inches (9-16.5 cm). Southern subspecies are larger than the northern ones.
These butterflies are called Swallowtails because they have long "tails" on their hindwings which look a bit like the long, pointed tails of the Swallow bird.
It flies from spring to fall, during which it produces two to three broods. Adults feed on the nectar of many species of flowers. Source: Wikipedia.

This poem is a Nonet.
A Nonet is a nine line poem. The first line containing nine syllables, the next line has eight syllables, the next line has seven syllables. That continues until the last line (the ninth line) which has one syllable. Nonets can be written about any subject. Rhyming is optional. There is no limitation to the number of words per line. Only syllables per line. This provides a great deal of flexibility.
For this poem I did add rhyming. The rhyme scheme is: aabbcccca.

This picture was taken by the author himself on July 22, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.