General Poetry posted May 29, 2016 Chapters:  ...241 243 -244- 245... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sestets

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Wild Wood Ducks

by Treischel




You'll find them in the lakes and ponds,
adrift among the reeds and fronds,
where woods and water make fine habitat,
to glide, or even perch in trees.
No more distinctive ducks than these!
Males wear a British Adm'ral's bicorn hat.

They're real impressive little guys,
with white-lined contours, bright red eyes,
and painted beak, that makes them so unique.
The lady's brown eyes, lined in white,
and crested head, are quite a sight.
In contrast, they create their own mystique.

Wood Ducks will stay in nesting box,
or holes in trees, away from fox,
and crocs, or hawks, or other predators.
They have a claw on their webbed feet.
So they can perch or swim to eat
their seeds and insects. They are omnivores.

They are the most majestic fowl,
that nest in trees, just like an owl.
I find them an aristocratic bird,
when drifting on a northern lake,
the modest damsel, formal drake --
so wild and free, their spirits undeterred.




Recognized


These are Wood Ducks that I have come across in my travels. The Wood Duck or Carolina Duck (Aix sponsa) is a species of perching duck found in North America. It is one of the most colorful North American waterfowl. It shares its genus with the Asian Mandarin Duck (Aix galericulata). The adult male has distinctive multicolored iridescent plumage and red eyes,with a distinctive white flare down the neck. The female, less colorful, has a white eye-ring and a whitish throat. Both adults have crested heads. Most ducks nest on the ground, but these nest in cavities in trees close to water, although they will take advantage of nesting boxes in wetland locations if available. Unlike most other ducks, the Wood Duck has sharp claws for perching in trees, where you may see them sitting and snapping at the air whie they harvest flying insects. After hatching, the ducklings jump down from the nest and make their way to water. The mother calls them to her, but does not help them in any way. They prefer nesting over water so the young have a soft landing. The day after they hatch, the young climb to the nest entrance and jump to the ground. The ducklings can swim and find their own food by this time. These birds feed by dabbling or walking on land. They mainly eat berries, acorns, and seeds, but also insects, making them omnivores. Source: Wikipedia.

This poem is made up of Sestets.
Sestets are poems with six lines. For this poem, I chose a syllable count of:
8-8-10-8-8-10.
The rhyme scheme is the author's choice in Sestets. For this poem I chose:
aabccb ddeffe gghiih jjkllk.

These photographs were taken by the the author himself at various times.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.