General Poetry posted March 3, 2016 Chapters:  ...236 237 -238- 239... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Pantoum

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Selfless Love

by Treischel

A mother bird defends her precious nest,
Distracting foe by faking her distress.
She mimics injury, and does her best
To show an easy target, with finesse.

Distracting foe by faking her distress.
She squawks, and flops, and raises such a fuss
To show an easy target, with finesse.
Her selflessness makes stalkers curious.

She squawks, and flops, and raises such a fuss
In act of love, a wounded parody.
Her selflessness makes stalkers curious.
She draws away the danger daringly.

In act of love, a wounded parody.
She mimics injury, and does her best.
She draws away the danger daringly.
A mother bird defends her precious nest.









This bird is a Killdeer. It was performing its injured act for me because I was apparently too close to its nest. It squawked loudly at me, and flopped around like it had a broken wing. Quite an impressive display. If I approached it, it would hop/fly further away. There was a bush nearby that was landscaped with stones, where its nest likely was. When I got near that bush, which was next to the tee-box on a golf course, it started screeching and dive-bombing me. Dang bird was going to have a busy day.

This poem is a Pantoum.
A Pantoum is a poem that is made up of Quatrains, with repeating lines. In a Pantoum the second and fourth lines of each stanza are repeated as the first and third lines of the next stanza. This can be repeated for as many stanzas as the author wishes. It is usually written in iambic tetrameter or pentameter. The first and third line of the poem, become the second and fourth lines of the last stanza, only in reverse order. So the first line becomes the last line of the poem.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on July 2, 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.