General Poetry posted February 17, 2016 Chapters:  ...233 234 -235- 236... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Septets

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Hidden House Finch

by Treischel



The woods were quiet, where we walked.
My bride and I engaged, we talked.
But fluttering in a tree,
attracted curiosity,
and there, upon a barren twig,
a bird danced its twitching jig.
I'd missed him as the leaves had blocked.

He showed a head of tufted red.
I very nearly was misled,
until I heard the flutter,
there among the oak leaf clutter.
So lucky that I found that guy,
hiding there, a little shy.
I caught his photograph instead.





Can't hide from me little birdie!
This bird is a common House Finch, (Heamorhous mexicanus). It has a very mundane name, but an interesting story. This bird is native to Mexico and the American Southwest. In the 1800's, many of them were captured and brought to New York, and sold illegally as house birds in cages. Also introduced to Hawaii in 1870, they became abundant in all it's Islands. They do have a pleasant song of a rapid cheery warble, with a variety of chirps. To spread their popularity, a marketeer named them "Hollywood Birds". Then, in order to avoid the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, vendors and owners were forced to release their birds back into the wilds, where they have rapidly naturalized and their population has spread all over the United States as well. Today their population is estimated to be about 1.7 billion. Source: Wikipedia.

This poem is a Septet.
Septets are any poem of seven lines. Their typical rhyme scheme is: aabbccx, where X can be any rhyme. For this poem, I chose: aabbcca in both stanzas. They can also be of any meter.
For this poem, I chose 8-8-7-8-8-7-8, for both.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on August 13, 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.