Romance Poetry posted January 18, 2016 Chapters:  ...229 230 -231- 232... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An Aubade

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

To Work I Must

by Treischel




Sweet cherished woman of my heart,
The time has come for us to part.
To work I must,
A sacred trust,
Alas, draws near the time to start.

But oh, so lovely are your charms,
So warm, so cuddly, in your arms.
If I should pray
That I could stay,
I'd disregard time's cruel alarms.

I lie here as the morning breaks,
Deciding paths my conscience takes.
The morning sun,
The day's begun!
Now gone the dreams that light forsakes.

The clock in tower starts to chime,
Reminding me of present time.
Were it not so,
I wouldn't go.
Our moments here are so sublime.

But strong responsibility,
Remembers those that count on me.
The case is so
That I must go.
So, this is how it has to be.

The embers of our passions burn.
I'll count the hours of my return.
A kiss goodbye,
Then I must fly.
'Til sweet reunion, that I yearn.






I wiil count the hours 'til I return, my love.

I wrote this one with a different perspective than the one I posted previously. He is just off to work. The tempo is 8,8,4,4,8, with a rhyme scheme of a,a,b,b,a. The separation won't be forever. Unless something horrible happens, like ...

This is an Aubade.
An Aubade is a poem about parting in the morning. There is no specified format other than to convey the essence of the moment. The purpose of an Aubade is to convey the emotion of separation. It is a morning love song (as opposed to a serenade, which is in the evening), or a song or poem about lovers separating at dawn. It has also been defined as "a song or instrumental composition concerning, accompanying, or evoking daybreak".

In the strictest sense of the term, an Aubade is a song from a door or window to a sleeping woman. Aubades are generally conflated with what are strictly called albas, which are exemplified by a dialogue between parting lovers, a refrain with the word alba, and a watchman warning the lovers of the approaching dawn.

Aubades were in the repertory of troubadours in Europe in the Middle Ages. The love poetry of the 16th century dealt mostly with unsatisfied love, so the Aubade was not a major genre in Elizabethan lyric.

Aubades were written from time to time into the 18th and 19th century. In the 20th century, the focus of the Aubade shifted from the genre's original specialized courtly love context into the more abstract theme of a human parting at daybreak. Source: Wikipedia.

This photograph was taken by the author himself in December of 2012 at Rice park. The building is the Landmark Center in downtown St. Paul, Minnesota.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.