General Poetry posted September 29, 2015 Chapters:  ...221 222 -223- 224... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
AABB Rhymed Quatrains

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Dark Shadows

by Treischel



Dark shadow in the bluest skies,
with wicked wings and deadly eyes.
It rides the thermals silently.
The finish may end violently.

As eagle eyes will scan the ground
for victims scurrying around.
So any that are unaware
May soon become its dinner fare.

So watch the ground, or scan the air
for dangers may be lurking there.
As shadows on a sunny day
may give the clue to get away.





Recognized


This is a juvenile bald eagle. It hasn't grown it's white head feathers yet. That happens in their 3rd year. I used to live on Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs, Co. There was a prairie dog village at the foot of the hill with about 100 of them living there. I used to watch the eagles soar in the thermals, then drop down and grab a prairie dog lunch. I noticed that on cloudy days, the little guys would stay close to their holes and scan the sky often. On sunny days, they would be braver and wander about more. That's because the eagle's shadow on the ground would warn them when they were in danger, and the smart ones would dive into their holes. The dumb or unobservant ones would become lunch.

This poem is simply aabb rhymed Quatrains on 8 syllable iambic tetrameter.

This photograph was taken by the author himself using his high speed Sony Alpha camera with a 300 mm lens. It was taken October 6, 2014.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.