General Poetry posted March 14, 2015 Chapters:  ...203 204 -205- 206... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Mono-rhyme

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Eagle's Shriek

by Treischel



When eagles open up their beak
there emanates a piercing shriek,
a piercing shriek,
that echoes off a mountain peak,
and rolls across a flowing creek.
It's just the way the eagles speak,
the eagles speak.

A mournful sound that's shrill and bleak,
it's not a bark, it's not a squeak.
It's really something quite unique.
It's quite unique.

With such a massive build physique,
and wings that make its body sleek,
the sound adds to this bird's mystique,
this bird's mystique.

This raptor's never small or weak,
a hunter, never tame or meek.
So, if you spot the nest you seek,
Make sure you stop and take a peek.
Just take a peek.






I was out along the shores of the Mississippi yesterday, March 13, 2015 when I spotted an Eagle's nest and this male nearby. Another Eagle came near, and this one started shrieking to warn it off. I captured it in my lens while it was doing that. They mentioned on the news the other day that Minnesota has the largest Eagle population in the US, outside of Alaska. At any rate, it's cry was the inspiration for this poem.

This poem is a Mono-rhyme Poem.
A Mono-rhyme poem is a poem of any number of lines, that has the same rhyme at every end line. A mono-rhymed poem can be accomplished in one of three ways. It can rhyme every line throughout the entire poem. Alternately, it may only mono-rhyme each stanza. Finally, the rhyme may be interspersed throught the poem, even beyond endlines, as in a free style poem. As long as there is the only rhyme in the poem, it's a Mono-rhyme. Typically, no rhyme repeats itself, but there can be exceptions.

This picture was taken by the author himself using the 50X zoom on his Cannon Power Shot SX50 HS camera. This nest was actually 200 yards away, across the river, on an island near Cottage Grove, Minnesota.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.