General Poetry posted February 15, 2015 Chapters:  ...205 206 -207- 208... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
AABBA Quintains

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

Amaryllis

by Treischel



It just doesn't get more striking than this,
The stunning Red Lion Amaryllis.
Red giant blooms with handsome lion manes,
Surrounding a center of lily-like vanes,
Provide an eye-catching botanical bliss.

South African native of flowering fame,
The "Naked Lady" is its common name.
From Greek "amarysso", meaning "to sparkle",
It shines as the flutes spread in a circle,
Giving off color as bright as a flame.

When planted indoors, the bulbs will soon bloom,
Relieving effects of seasonal gloom.
When greeted by visions of color so bright,
This lovely flower is sure to delight,
And dress the appearance of any dull room.





This flower is known as the Red Lion Amaryllis. The Amaryllis is a small genus of flowering bulbs, with two species. The better known of the two, Amaryllis Belladonna, is a native of the Western Cape region of South Africa. For many years there was confusion amongst botanists over the generic names Amaryllis and Hippeastrum, one result of which is that the common name "amaryllis" is mainly used for cultivars of the genus Hippeastrum, widely sold in the winter months for their ability to bloom indoors. Plants of the genus Amaryllis are known as Belladonna Lily, Jersey Lily, Naked Lady, Amarillo, EasterLlily in Southern Australia or, in South Africa, March Lily due to its propensity to flower around March. This is one of numerous genera with the common name "Lily" due to their flower shape and growth habit. However, they are only distantly related to the true Lily. The name Amaryllis is taken from a shepherdess in Virgil's pastoral Eclogues, (from the Greek "amarysso", meaning "to sparkle"). The common name "Naked Lady" comes from the plant's pattern of flowering when other foliage has died down. One or two leafless stems arise from the bulb in the dry ground in late summer and bloom in late fall and winter. Source Wikipedia.

This poem is written in Quintets (5 line stanzas) with a rhyme scheme of: aabba. The meter is variable between 10 and 12 syllables.

This picture was taken by the author himself on February 5, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.