General Non-Fiction posted February 11, 2015 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The joys and trials of a large family

A chapter in the book Carolyn's Corner

When love is enough

by Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens



As many of you know, from previous writing, I am from a family of ten. My pecking order is number nine. You would think by the time I came around my folks would have invested in a television or some other distraction. But, no, they took it seriously when reading 'be fruitful and multiply.'

Mother and Daddy didn't set out to have a 'litter' but they did anyway.

Mother told me a story once about realizing she was pregnant again and sharing that with a friend. The friend told her in no uncertain terms that our family could not afford another baby and that my mother should do 'something' about it. She then offered to give Mother some of her own 'medicine', that she conveniently kept on hand. She told Mother she would start her monthly period as usual and not be pregnant anymore. Abortion by Quinine was evidently a home remedy often used in the case of unwanted pregnancy. Mother refused the offering...

I am now and ever will be, grateful to Mother for her respect for life and her determination to preserve it. That story was more than likely about nine down the line. I was born and one other after me. Making us a litter of ten.

I'm not sure if my parents could 'afford' me or not, as we were poor by many standards. But by our standards, we were rich. Rich in love for each other, respect for the Father in Heaven and His son.

What more could a family ask for?



Recognized




I counted those puppies and I think there are only nine... I sure hope it's not me that's missing. LOL
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.