General Poetry posted January 10, 2015 Chapters:  ...188 189 -191- 194... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Cameo

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

The Golden Glow

by Treischel



Golden,
when the magic gets
revealed, just as the setting sun
silhouettes
the landscapes and the building shapes.
Then the mellow glow escapes,
enchants.





Recognized


Any photographer knows that the best time to shoot a photograph is just before sunset, during the time known as - the golden hour. This is an example of that time of day. I hope that I properly conveyed it. The scene is of the Mississippi River at St. Paul. Downtown St. Paul, the capital of Minnesota, is in sihlouette. An iconic symbol of the town is the large number 1 that flashes atop the First National Bank building.

This poem is a Cameo.
The Cameo is a fixed form style of poetry with seven lines varying in syllabic length. It is one of the most simple ways of writing a poem and is frequently assigned in classrooms. It varies only in syllable count. The form is a heptastich (epta Greek; seven) or seven line verse and is usually unrhymed.

The Cameo Poem is written in a strictly counted syllables per line; no rhymes are needed.

line 1 = 2 syllables;
line 2 = 5;
line 3 = 8;
line 4 = 3;
line 5 = 8;
line 6 = 7;
line 7 = 2 syllables

However, I believe that rhyme always enhances a poem. I chose to add just a touch of rhyme here.
The rhyme scheme is: abcbdde

The format is designed to be put on things, like cameos. I think it is a perfect format for things like posters, or greeting cards.

This photograph was taken by the author, himself, from the crest of Dayton's Bluff at Mounds Park in March of 2012.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.