General Non-Fiction posted May 31, 2014 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
short story about Missouri

A chapter in the book Carolyn's Corner

Missouri my home State

by Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens


Sometimes it is almost like an ache that I have, a yearning, to know and to be where some of my friends are. Our homes are so detached, and yet through our modern technology, we are blest to have a means of contact and fellowship with each other. Computers, instant messaging, phones and tablets, keep us connected in a way that is wonderful, explainable, and yet still completely beyond my ability to understand. Oh, I can fully know and explain the technology, but I will never understand how waves of radio current can pass through the air and carry data, voice and image with it in invisible, noiseless and flawless detail, a perfect copy of any original created.

For this cause this short essay is written.

I live in the mid-west, in the State of Missouri. It is just about right in the middle of the United States of America.

Missouri has four (4) very distinct seasons.

Spring, bursting with life, resurrection of brilliant greenery and birdsong. In addition Spring brings it's share of flooding and the terror of multiple Tornadoes that pop up every year. But along with all of that comes Cardinal baseball, and local band concerts. Summer, hot, humid, pungent with the fragrance of fresh mown hay throughout the rural farm land. Summer, Six flags family fun, Branson music shows and large lakes for boating, camping and fishing. Fall, in all it's splendor, colors painted by the Lord Himself, grace the deciduous trees of multiple species that are indigenous to the area. The large variety is comprised of Oak, Hickory, Maple, Black Walnut, Elm and many others. Combined with the National forest spread throughout the State with their evergreens of Cedars and Pines, Missouri's tree population is a wondrous sight to behold. In addition, Fall, brings the sports of the season, football, hockey and high school basketball tournaments. Deer and wild turkey season brings out the hunters, responsible sports people who look to this time of year to stock their freezers with venison for the winter. Winter in Missouri can be totally unpredictable, and most often has many surprises in store. It can vary from mild to severe. Low to moderate temperatures, to frigid, below zero and a foot or more of snow, that stays on the ground for weeks. Or on occasion, I have cut roses right before Christmas.

For all of that and more, Missouri is my home. I was born here, the ninth in a family of ten. I am the only one of that tribe, that still lives in the State. The low rolling hills, Ozark mountain range, the Mississippi and other rivers, meadows and plains are all a part of why I love it so much. Missouri's caves were hideouts for the Jesse James gang and Missouri is the home of Mark Twain, (Samuel Clemons).

Look us up on the map. You'll be glad you did. If you look real close, about 30 miles West of St. Louis, you'll see me waving to you. Come on over and see me sometime.



Recognized


Picture of our back yard, fall of 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens All rights reserved.
Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.