Romance Fiction posted May 18, 2014 Chapters:  ...93 94 -95- 96... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Mary Pat continue through the tunnel.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER TWENTY; PART FOUR

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The women fought thick cobwebs as they descended the damp moss-covered stairs. At the bottom was a sharp right turn. Mary Pat led the way with Paige right behind. Inside the root cellar, Mary Pat scanned the room with the light. "On my God!"

Paige screamed.



TODAY'S POST:

The women stopped in their tracks as their eyes widened.

It's a skeleton. Walk by it. It's not going to hurt you. It's been dead a long time.

"But, but, but..." Paige struggled.

Cash needs you.

Paige swallowed. "You're giving me some kind of test, aren't you?"

I'm trying to help.

"We'd better continue." Paige hesitated. "I'll call the police later."

"Are you getting information from Bradley?" Mary Pat slid along the wall as far from the skeleton as possible.

"I think so. I think he did this on purpose. What do you think happened to that person?"

"He got lost in the tunnel. Maybe he searched for the hidden treasure, then got lost." Mary Pat's voice rose at the end.

"If there's a real treasure. When Cash and I went on the ghost walk, the guide said many yellow fever victims were put in tunnels."

"Would yellow fever still be contagious after all these years?"

"Good question. Can you get a vaccination against it?" questioned Paige. "I guess it's too late to worry about it now. We're already here." She continued walking beside Mary Pat. Morgan was at their side. "We need to find the tunnel door. It's in here somewhere."

"It's probably behind the skeleton. Who's going to look there?" Mary Pat glanced at Morgan. "It wouldn't bother him at all."

Paige bent down and hugged Morgan. "He's just a puppy."

Mary Pat petted the pup's head. "Just teasing, boy. Well, sorta. He might chew on him. Dogs like bones."

"Yuck!" Paige tapped different areas on the wall. "We need to find it or get another sign from Bradley."

"What are we looking for?"

"Something that doesn't look like the rest of the wall." Paige continued to check the wall. As she stepped to the right, she felt something under foot give. "I think I've found it." She knelt down and brushed the built up dirt away. "I think there's a lever here."

"Stomp on it or let me. I weigh more."

Paige stepped aside. Mary Pat pushed the lever down with her foot, slowly part of the wall creaked open. Mary Pat's flashlight scanned the area as both women surveyed the tunnel.

Paige stepped inside. "It appears safe." She glanced back at the skeleton. "At least we'll be away from him."

"Think he might've been searching for the door?" Mary Pat asked as she followed her friend.

"Would make sense. Only I wonder what he was doing down here and how long he's been here. Then again, he might be a she." Paige took a deep breath. "We have no choice but to go straight. Let's go."

"Pieces of clothing hanging from him would tell us." Mary Pat pointed.

"I'm not checking, are you?"

Mary Pat shook her head. "Let's get out of here."

The two women continued, following the tunnel. Morgan stayed at their side.

Mary Pat stopped. "You doing all right? I know it's difficult on those crutches." She hesitated. "When you were in here by yourself, you had to be afraid. I'm scared to death and I'm with you."

"I did a lot of praying. It wasn't so bad when Bradley showed up." Paige released a deep breath. "I wish he'd help now." She looked around. "Did you hear that? I wish you'd show up and guide us to the men."

"I guess he's busy." Mary Pat touched Paige's arm. "Let's go."

Before long, they came to a Y. "Which way?" Paige glanced at her friend.

"Got a coin? We could flip it."

Both women heard a chuckle. Stay right. Be careful. This tunnel's old and could cave-in any moment.

"Stay with us," pleaded Paige.

I can't. Those crazy men you're trying to save need me more than you.

"He's probably right. I don't even want to think what Billy Joe's up to."

"Bradley, Bradley? Would you tell us how much further?" Paige petted Morgan. "I guess he's left."

Maybe three hundred yards.

"Thank you. Just a little farther." Paige started walking.

"Three football fields isn't a bad walk."

"Unless you're in a tunnel that could cave in any second. We're hardly out for a Sunday afternoon stroll."

Mary Pat grinned. "Point taken. At the end I get to hug and kiss my husband."

After about a hundred and seventy-five yards the tunnel took a sharp left. Paige stopped. "I wasn't expecting this. Think we messed up somehow?"

"Bradley said go right and we did. There haven't been any other choices."

"Did we miss a hidden door?" Paige rubbed her back.

"If the door was hidden, how would I know if we missed it?"

"That's true. I guess we keep going."

The women continued walking. Mary Pat hurried ahead. Paige struggled to keep pace. "Just a minute. I need to rest." Paige set the crutches against the wall and took deep breaths.

"Sorry." Mary Pat stood beside her friend.

"I'm not as young as I used to be."

Mary Pat laughed, and a few rocks tumbled to the ground. "Sorry, again. I forgot."

"What'd you guess about fifty more yards?"

"I'd say we're close enough for a field goal." Mary Pat smiled.

"Whatever that is, it sounds good. Let's go."

The women continued walking.

Paige stopped. "Hear that?"

"Sure do. That's my husband!" Mary Pat ran ahead.

Mary Pat's in Billy Joe's arms. I'm almost there. Paige glanced ahead and saw Cash running toward her. She fell into his arms. "You're safe."

"How'd Mary Pat find you?"

"She didn't." Paige stopped. "I know you won't believe this, but Bradley helped me find my way out. When I found out you were still inside, Mary Pat and I came looking for you."

"You'd be surprised what I've come to believe."

Cash and Paige turned toward the sound of a thunder of rocks falling.

Paige yelled. "NO!" She dropped her crutches and followed Cash.



Recognized


I WILL NOT BE POSTING NEXT WEEKEND. I'M LEAVING FOR MO. ON WEDNESDAY FOR MY THIRD SON'S WEDDING. I WON'T BE BACK UNTIL THE FOLLOWING TUESDAY.

Thank you Google images for the photo of a kitty finding a secret door. I tried to find to a cave or tunnel with a secret door, but it was impossible. I went with cute instead. I know you'll be shocked as long as this novel has drawn out, but I actually see the end in sight. LOL I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.