Romance Fiction posted May 11, 2014 Chapters:  ...92 93 -94- 95... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Mary Pat search for the men.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER TWENTY; PART THREE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Dat tunnel done caved in." One of the men who had helped dig from the library looked up at the ceiling, closed his eyes, and prayed.

"Cash!" Paige ran for the door. "I'm coming!"

Morgan ran beside her.

Mary Pat and Nala ran in front of Paige. "You're staying put." Mary Pat's hands were on her hips. "You're not going in there again."

Nala tapped keys on her cell phone. "I'm calling the rescue squad. I should've done that in the first place."

Paige sat and hugged Morgan. Please God, get them out safely.



TODAY'S POST:

Paige tapped her fingers on the table. "How long does it take a rescue team to get here? By the time they arrive, there won't be anybody to rescue." Morgan lay at her feet.

"Patience, Paige." Nala continued to clean the cuts on the bottom of Paige's right foot.

"I'm tired of people telling me to be patient." Paige rapped her fingers for a few moments. "Sorry, Nala. I shouldn't take out my frustration on you."

"I'm worried about the men too."

Mary Pat ran into the kitchen. "The rescue squad just drove up."

After the situation was discussed, Paige showed Gary, the team chief, the door she and Bradley used.

Mary Pat followed to make sure Paige returned to the house. "We'll be more comfortable in the parlor." Mary Pat took some glasses from the cupboard. "Go ahead and get comfortable. I'll bring some lemonade."

Nala opened the refrigerator door. "I made a new pitcher this morning."

Paige and Morgan hobbled into the library. I should be searching for Cash. Not sitting around being an invalid. I caused this mess. Bradley's helping them. He has to be. What if Cash and Billy Joe won't believe in him? Can he still help?

Mary Pat walked in with Paige's crutches. "These might come in handy."

"I don't know why. You and Nala won't let me help."

After setting the crutches beside the couch and waiting for Nala to set down the tray of lemonade, Mary Pat said, "I can't imagine you listening to either one of us. I figure we need to search for our men. Has Bradley contacted you lately?"

With raised eyebrows and a smile, Paige stood. "Nope, but I know he's helping. Ready?"

Mary Pat nodded. "Let's do it." She checked her gun.

"You won't need that. I only saw spiders. Firing a gun would be overkill and collapse the rest of the tunnel."

"Gotcha!" Mary Pat shoved it into the waistband of her shorts. "One can never be too careful."

Nala took a sip. "You two are going into that tunnel, aren't you?"

Paige and Mary Pat nodded.

Nala took out the Bible she kept in her pocket and hugged it. "I'll be praying to God Almighty."

Morgan sat and stared at Nala.

"Get going." Nala used her hand to chase the pup away. "You're just as bad as they are. At least you have a little sense."

The two women and Morgan headed for the opening Paige had walked through.

As Paige and Mary Pat began to enter the tunnel, Paige stopped. "Wait! It doesn't feel right. Don't go in there." She closed her eyes and took deep breaths.

Paige, go to the root cellar. Inside it there's a hidden door. Enter through it.

"Bradley, is that you?"

"Who you talking to?" asked Mary Pat.

"Bradley, I think. He didn't appear like he did in the cave, but he entered my thoughts. Maybe he's making sure the boys are safe. He says we need to go to the root cellar. I've never been there. Isn't it outside the old slave quarters?"

"I thought it was inside." Mary Pat took out her cell and called Nala. "She says it's on the North corner."

"But there's a scrub oak there. Let's just go."

"The oak's on the East." Mary Pat pointed at it as they hurried.

Once at the slave quarters, Mary Pat paused. "You sit and rest. I'll circle around and see if I can find anything."

A few moments later, Mary Pat yelled, "I found it! Follow the building around to your left."

When Paige caught up with her friend, Mary Pat was yanking on a handle. "I can't budge this thing."

"How'd you find it? It's covered with kudzu."

"A light pointed to it. I can't really explain." Mary Pat yanked again. "It won't budge."

"Bradley's telling us where to look. Let me help." Paige propped her crutches on the side of the building, grabbed the handle, and both women pulled. "I think it moved a little. Ready, set, pull!"

Again they pulled, the door opened, and then slammed shut.

"We got it loose." Mary Pat wiped her brow. "Move back and I'll prop it." She looked around for a large branch. "This should work."

After the door was open, Mary Pat glanced down it. "It looks like a long way down. The steps are pretty narrow. You going to be all right on those things?" She pointed at Paige's crutches.

"What choice do I have? You lead the way. I'm glad Nala remembered the flashlights and extra batteries."

Mary Pat turned hers on. "Keep yours off. You don't need anything else in your hands."

The women fought thick cobwebs as they descended the damp moss-covered stairs. At the bottom was a sharp right turn. Mary Pat led the way with Paige right behind. Inside the root cellar, Mary Pat scanned the room with the light. "On my God!"

Paige screamed.



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of kudzu covering a building. It's a huge problem in the Southern states. I know you'll be shocked as long as this novel has drawn out, but I actually see the end in sight. LOL I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.