General Fiction posted May 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Restoration of a doll

A chapter in the book Carolyn's Corner

Troubled Treasures

by Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens


The box arrived by special mail. The address revealed, it was the porcelain doll we had all been waiting for. As the master sculptress gingerly opened the box, we looked in dismay at the wonderful little doll packed inside. She was in sad disarray. Sawdust from her legs were slowly seeping out from around the duct tape that had been applied as a temporary fix. Later removal of the tape would reveal a gaping hole underneath. Each limb was in pieces with some parts completely missing. This one would require major surgery. The cracked pieces made one imagine a life of physical abuse, in a home where domestic violence reigned unchecked and out of control.

However, that was not the case with our little gal. She came to us a result of an innocent but terrible accident. She was part of a beloved collection, that had been accosted by a curious three year old. Now the child was not to be blamed, and certainly not to be imprisoned for her dastardly acts. She only wanted to hug Dolly. She could not possibly 'fathom' the value of such a charming plaything. How was she to know, as she climbed gingerly up the shelves to reach Dolly, that the tile floor underneath would shatter her as she fell. It was like landing on the rocks below from a high hanging cliff. Not only did Dolly almost meet her demise, but the little girl was not in such fine shape either, having cracked her own wrist in the process.

One casualty went to the hospital, and one went to Hamlin's.

Oh yes, when dolls, bowls, vases, pitchers and such, plus dozens of Hummels, statuettes and clocks arrive, they all come with a story. Either by phone, email or in print, the source of the 'injury' is most always known.

So, you might well imagine my excitement, at recently becoming a member of the team at 'Hamlin Art Restoration Studio.'

As a matter of fact, sculpting is one form of art I had not pursued as heavily as I would like. Now I am happy to say, I can check that one off my bucket list.



Recognized


Where fact leaves off, fiction takes over. A part of this story is fiction, most of it is a true account of discovery and repairs necessary to the restoration of fine collectibles. I hope you enjoyed this. Pleas read the 5-7-5 Porcelain Treasures for a look at the completed 'Dolly.' :-) Carolyn
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens All rights reserved.
Carolyn 'Deaton' Stephens has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.