Romance Fiction posted May 4, 2014 Chapters:  ...91 92 -93- 94... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige escapes, but ....

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER TWENTY; PART TWO

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Paige noticed Morgan followed Bradley. She jogged to catch up. "I guess it's possible I missed the door, but I don't think so. Do I have a choice?" She hesitated. "If Cash looks bewildered, it has nothing to do with me, by the way."

Bradley shook his head. If you say so.

At the end of the tunnel, Paige pointed. "See, it's a dead end." She turned and tilted her head. "What's that noise?"

The tunnel's caving in. Bradley pushed a brick and a door opened. He pulled Paige through the opening. Morgan followed. Falling rocks filled the space Paige and her dog had just vacated.

TODAY'S POST:

Paige blinked until her eyes felt free from dust. "Where are we?" She glanced around in the dark. "Bradley? Bradley?" She waited in silence for the ghost to reappear.

Morgan paced circles around Paige, sniffing the air.

"He's nowhere around, is he, boy?" Paige leaned against the wall. "Now what?" She released a deep breath and petted the pup's head. "We continue forward. Let's go."

With her hand sliding along the jagged wall for guidance, Paige and Morgan continued forward. She paused, used her arm to wipe her forehead, and quickly re-braided her long black hair. "Ready?"

Morgan barked.

"Hush!" whispered Paige. "When you do that, more rocks crash down."

The twosome continued.

After walking a few hundred yards, Paige called out, "Morgan, where are you? Morgan?" A couple of rocks tumbled down the side of the tunnel. Something's wrong. Morgan never leaves my side.

Paige took a few more steps, and then noticed the familiar light surrounding the hazy figure of Bradley. "Where have you been? Are you all right?"

I lost energy for a moment. I'm back

"Where are we?"

Very close to the end. Go straight. Bradley grinned. When we leave the tunnel, you'll know where you're at.

"I doubt it."

Bradley chuckled. Poor Cash. A doubting lady Thomas.

"Poor Cash my aching foot." Paige pointed to a crack of sunlight. "Is that the opening or are there more of you?"

He held up one finger. Only one.

Paige jogged and hobbled with Morgan by her side until they reached the opening. "Can I hug you?"

You can try, but I doubt it'll work. I'm a ghost, you know?

A pink tinge crossed Paige's cheeks. "I know you're a ghost." She glanced around. "We're just outside the mudroom."

We are. You go up to the house. I'll be along later. I still have work to do.

"But I need you to come with me. I need to prove to Cash you're real."

All in good time. Patience, dear. Bradley disappeared.

How does he do that?

Paige and Morgan hurried to the kitchen. "Hey, everybody! We're here!"
Mary Pat, Nala, and two of the men Amos brought with him rushed into the kitchen. Nala and Mary Pat hugged Paige.

"Where's Cash and Billy Joe?" asked Paige when the hugs ended.

"They're in the tunnel with Amos and two of his friends. They're looking for you." Mary Pat pointed toward the opening in the kitchen. "We were digging in from the library."

Nala held up Paige's shoe. "We found this." She handed it to Paige. "Oh my! Your foot's cut up. I'll get something to clean it with." Nala walked off.

"The tunnel's caving in. How long have the men been gone? I'd call and tell them but I guess I left my phone in the library." Paige started to limp away.

"The phoned don't work in the tunnel." Mary Pat glanced at her watch. "They've been gone well over an hour."

"I bet that's what Bradley meant by he still had work to do."

"You met Bradley?"

Paige nodded. "Sure did. He helped me get out of the maze."

All heads turned toward the opening to the tunnel. A loud crashing sound filled the room. The floor trembled and a large cloud of dust came through the door.

"Dat tunnel done cave in." One of the men who had helped dig from the library looked up at the ceiling, closed his eyes, and prayed.

"Cash!" Paige ran for the door. "I'm coming!"

Morgan ran beside her.

Mary Pat and Nala ran in front of Paige. "You're staying put." Mary Pat grabbed her friends hand. "You're not going in there again."

Nala tapped keys on her cell phone. "I'm calling the rescue squad. I should've done that in the first place!"

Paige sat and hugged Morgan. Please God, get them out safely.








Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a cave in. I know you'll be shocked as long as this novel has drawn out, but I actually see the end in sight. LOL I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.