Romance Fiction posted April 27, 2014 Chapters:  ...90 91 -92- 93... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
With help Paige finds a door.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER TWENTY; PART ONE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER TWENTY

Those new batteries didn't last long. Paige threw the flashlight down. It hit with a thud and a few rocks tumbled down. Better get moving. She slid her right hand along the jagged wall and walked a few more steps. Maybe this is the way out. This tunnel's a maze. After walking about a half-mile, she slumped down to the floor. Morgan put his paw on her thigh and whimpered. "I know your paw's swollen." She massaged it. "This tunnel has to lead outside, any ideas which way to try next?" She petted Morgan, who wagged his tail in response. "We need to keep going. We'll never find our way out sitting here.

Paige, Paige.

After glancing up, Paige blinked a few times and then focused her eyes on a bright light that surrounded a smoky image of a man dressed in Civil War attire. "Bradley?"

Follow me. I'll help.

Morgan limped to the image with his tail wagging. Paige cautiously stood. "Okay, I'll follow."

Your foot has open cuts, it's probably infected.

"My shoe came off when some rocks fell on me." The light surrounding Bradley allowed Paige to notice the blood squeezing up between her toes. They began following the left tunnel.

I know.

"If you knew, why did you wait so long to help?"

Bradley faced her and grinned.

"You're enjoying yourself, aren't you?"

He nodded.

"It seems you care, but then you allowed things to happen. Why?"

You'll find out. All in good time.

All in good time. All in good time. That's what Mom and Aunt Paula used to tell me. I used to think 'patience, child' was my name.

Bradley chuckled out loud.

"You can read minds." Paige tilted her head. "Only mine or others?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Would you please show yourself to Cash and Billy Joe? They need to know I'm not crazy."

Think that would help? Bradley laughed.

Paige frowned. "Probably not." She glanced around. "I've been this way and it led to a dead end."

Just before the dead end, there's a door. You missed it.

"I'm sure there wasn't a door. My flashlight was working then and I searched all around. There was no door." Paige stopped and put her hands on her hips. "Are you trying to trick me?"

His eyebrows rose. Would I do that?

"Maybe." Paige paused and thought a moment. "I'm from Massachusetts and you not only fought for the Confederate Army, but lost your life."

I understand why Cash always has a bewildered look on his face. Come on. It's getting late. Bradley walked. Are you coming?

Paige noticed Morgan followed Bradley. She jogged to catch up. "I guess it's possible I missed the door, but I don't think so. Do I have a choice?" She hesitated. "If Cash looks bewildered, it has nothing to do with me, by the way."

Bradley shook his head. If you say so.

At the end of the tunnel, Paige pointed. "See, it's a dead end." She turned and tilted her head. "What's that noise?"

The tunnel's caving in. Bradley pushed a brick and a door opened. He pulled Paige through the opening. Morgan followed. Falling rocks filled the space Paige and her dog had just vacated.



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of two Civil War ghosts. I know Bradley is only one person, but I struggled finding him. I know you'll be shocked as long as this novel has drawn out, but I actually see the end in sight. LOL I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.