Young Adult Fiction posted April 21, 2014 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rory talks to Albie

A chapter in the book Sins of My Father

Like a Hurricane

by GWHARGIS



Background
15 year old Rory French is trying to figure out who he is and why life seems so unfair.
Albie is pulling our pizza out of the oven when I finally gather enough nerve to talk to him.

"What's up, Rory?" he asks as he carries the pizza over to the counter. He's wearing an apron and try as I might, I can't ever picture my dad wearing something like that.

"I made the basketball team."

"Yeah, Etienne said that. Just make sure you tell him when a home game is. Denise and I will come cheer you on."

I shake my head. "I doubt I'll ever get to play."

He smiles and his blue eyes crinkle. "Then we'll chant from the stands. 'Rory! Rory!'"

"I don't think that'll work."

"Well, then I'll get the cheerleaders to start chanting for you."

"That'd be cool."

"Think it'll work?"

"Who cares. I just want to hear them say my name." I laugh.

It's funny, when Albie's around I don't feel so confused about things. He's like this big solid teddy bear. He is easy to talk to and fun to be around, but I know he has my back.

Albie winks and picks up the circular cutter. "You are definitely your daddy's kid."



While Etienne is in the shower, I go sit outside with Albie.

"Miss Denise working?"

Albie nods. "She'll be here around eleven."

There is no easy way to broach this subject. I've never had to deal with it and I'm starting to wonder if I should just let it go. But the more practical side of me, knows things don't go away just because you ignore them.

"Albie, when my daddy was drinking, what was he like?"

"Like a hurricane on two legs."

"He doesn't ever talk about it."

Albie lifts his ice tea and takes a slow sip. I know I've put him in an awkward spot. He probably feels like he's betraying my dad by answering my questions. And I feel like I'm betraying Dad by asking them. But I need to know. I have to know what category hurricane I'm facing.

"Your dad drank to escape. And he made sure he drank enough to forget everything."

"Were things really that bad when he was kid?"

Albie frowns and takes a deep breath. "Things were pretty bad, Rory. I know you love your grandpa, but he wasn't always a nice guy."

"So Granddad is the reason my dad drinks,uh, drank," I say, correcting myself.

"He was a big part." Albie looks over at me, and I know he's starting to sense something.

I'm going to let it go. I'll give my dad the benefit of the doubt. If he breaks his promise again, then I'll tell. He says he's not the same person he once was. I believe him. I can't picture my dad as a walking hurricane.

Albie isn't stupid, he knows these aren't just random questions.

"What's with the questions, Rory?"

"Just wondering, that's all."

I can tell he doesn't believe it. He regards me seriously. I should trust him. He's Dean's best friend, and he'll know what to do.

Swallowing the lump in my throat I finally give it up.

"He's drinkin' 'shine again, Albie."

With just that one sentence, Albie's face crumbles.

"Damn you, Dean," he says quietly.




Feedback welcome.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GWHARGIS All rights reserved.
GWHARGIS has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.