Romance Fiction posted April 20, 2014 Chapters:  ...89 90 -91- 92... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The men travel further into the tunnel.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER NINETEEN; PART FOUR

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Amos chuckled. "Boy, we ain't got no choice but straight. All leads to da cellar." He quieted and raised his hand. "I heared a dog too. Dis way."

"That's definitely Morgan." Cash tilted his head, listened, and then shoved Amos against the wall, just as some rocks came crashing down exactly where Amos had stood.

After Cash moved aside, Amos took out a red kerchief and wiped his brow. "I be mighty beholdin' to ya. We bes' keep goin' as long as da good Lord's willin' and da creek don't rise."

Billy Joe threw his toothpick down. "You saying there's a creek in here too! With all the rain we just got, this tunnel will flood."

TODAYS POST:

"I ain't ever heared of a creek down here, but one never knows." Amos stuffed his kerchief in his back pocket, half-wat. "Ain't your poppa ever said that before?" He released a deep breath. "Young 'ins dese days. We need ta hurry dat purdy lady might be a-hurten."

Again the men continued through the narrow tunnel, but stopped often to listen.

"I wish that damn dog would quit barking. He's going to collapse this whole thing," muttered Billy Joe.

"You know, being quiet was never one of his strong areas." Cash raised his t-shirt and wiped his brow. "It's sure hot and sticky." He took the jug of water from his buddy and took a drink, sighing. "That's good!"

Billy Joe glanced at Cash. "Does that mutt have any strong areas?"

"Better not say that too loud. Paige might hear you." Cash rubbed his back. "This hunching over's getting old. Amos, any ideas on how much further?"

Amos turned and looked back. "I figure we've gone 'bout half-way. Da cellar should be straight ahead; fifty yards or so. Does da purdy lady, always gets herself into trouble?"

"Sure does," Billy Joe said. "If it wasn't this, it'd be something else." He tilted his head. "Listen! I don't hear that mutt. That can't be good."

Cash rushed ahead of the others. When he arrived at the circular cellar, it was vacant. Fallen rocks, spiders' webs, and bat feces were all he saw. While waiting for the others, he paced. Where are they? Why isn't Morgan barking? This can't be good.

When Amos caught up, he was out of breath. "She ain't here."

The two men, who came with Amos, walked around searching for clues.

"Nope, she's not. Why don't you rest a while?" Cash patted Amos' shoulder. Something caught Cash's eye and he bent down to pick it up. "A painted broken fingernail. It has to be Paige's. I'm pretty sure during the Civil War women didn't wear these fancy colors." He held it up for all to see.

"It's Paige's. She's got Mary Pat into doing all that fancy stuff." Billy Joe shook his head, but grinned. "Women!"

Amos released a deep breath. "I's a-wondering why she didn't stay put." He hesitated and then continued, "'Cause Bradley's leading her to safety."

"Just in case you're wrong, we need to keep looking. I'm wondering why Morgan's suddenly quiet. He barks at everything." Cash's head turned toward the right tunnel and then the center one. "Which way?"

"Ya knows yer woman better 'n me." Amos wiped his brow again. "Which way do ya dink?"

"Do you know where each leads to?" Billy Joe pointed to each passage way.

"I'm a-dinking dat one goes to da First African Baptist Church. It be down town." Amos pointed to the center tunnel. "And dis one goes to da river." He pointed to the right one. "Whoa! Wait! Dere's a tunnel dat breaks off from dat dere center on dat goes to da Bookman Cemetery. I'm a bettin' Bradley done took dat fine lady dere."

The men started toward the right tunnel, but stopped as rocks fell closing it.

Amos turned. "I's say dat be a sign we need to go da other way. Bradley be helping us. To da church we be a going."

"No ghost's helping anybody, because their ain't no such thing as ghosts!" Billy Joe stomped his foot.





Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of fingernail polish. I was just having some fun. I know you'll be shocked as long as this novel has drawn out, but I actually see the end in sight. LOL I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.