General Fiction posted April 13, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted

and the moral is...

by judester

Harry no longer worked at the frame shop. They had closed shop last week. He wandered around town confused, without direction or a plan.

He walked past the local gym, not even looking through the window like usual. He had always wanted to start working out, but had just been too busy at the frame shop. He waved mindlessly at the red headed girl that worked in the diner. She smiled and waved back at him.

He slowly made his way down to the docks where there was a buzz of activity. The town was renovating the dock side and all the little wooden slat buildings were being demolished. There were 5 big containers filled with the scrap wood and inspiration

The next morning, Harry had the containers brought to the big yard of his house. He spent the next few days stacking the wood. In his garage, he set up a work space and began to make birdhouses.

The local paper ran a story on him and suddenly everyone wanted his unique bird houses made with souvenir wood. The whimsical little houses still had the shades of red, blue and yellow paint after being sanded. That gave them a rustic, Americana look.
A buyer from the big nursery store chain made a deal with Harry. Overnight, he was in a business that made him happier than ever before. Working for himself and doing something he had dreamed about since he was a kid.

Now he had all the money he had ever dreamed of and plenty of time to enjoy spending it. He married his favorite red head, made millions from Harry's Birdhouses.com and he finally joined the gym.

The moral of this story is, self help is the best help.



Write A Modern Fable writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a short fable-like story where the last sentence starts with: "And the moral of the story is". This can be on any subject, true or fictional, and can be in any voice, as long as the moral is stated in the last line. A new twist on an old fable is also allowed. Be creative and have fun! Maximum word count: 300

Recognized


Thanks to BirdsEyeView for the perfect illustration.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.