General Poetry posted April 3, 2014 Chapters:  ...159 160 -162- 163... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Triolet

A chapter in the book Picture Poems

In Underbrush

by Treischel

In Underbrush
(A Triolet)



A robin sits inside a bush.
It's hidden in the lush green leaves
and feeling safe in underbrush.
A robin sits inside a bush
not seeming to be in much rush,
within the branches thick as thieves.
A robin sits inside a bush.
It's hidden in the lush green leaves,

or so it thinks.




Recognized


Of course I managed to get my lens on him hiding there. I heard him chirping while I was walking along a path on the Mississippi River in St. Paul.

The saying "Thick As Thieves" is a well known idiom. There have been several films with this as the title. Several novels have been given this title, also. The most famous of which is from the Hardy Boys series. Many songs have used this phrase as well including a song in the opera "Ophelia".
The closer things are together, then the harder it is to get through them. Friends are close, but "thick as thieves" is an ode to the idea that thieves are so close together that they would be closer than friends or family. That closeness is derived from the thieves trust in one another not to betray or turn each other in. They have to keep secrets of the planning, the theft, and the reward, or consequences of the theft. If you are going to trust someone with all that knowledge, any of which could be used to ruin your life, with prison time or other forms of retribution, then you two better be close, real close or "thick as thieves".
I may have poetically stretched the meaning here when applying to branches and leaves, but it was meant to convey closeness.

This poem is a Triolet, which I have described many times before, and is defined on this site under "Poetry Dances".

This photograph was taken by the author himself.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.