Romance Fiction posted March 23, 2014 Chapters:  ...86 87 -88- 89... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Morgan disappears.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER NINETEEN; PART ONE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
END OF CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:

When Paige cried her final tear, she backed away. "Sorry."

Cash stood. "Not a problem." He reached for a tissue, handing it to her.

Paige dried her eyes. "You knew this was coming, didn't you? That's why you brought the ice cream."

"To be honest, Mary Pat suggested the ice cream. I wouldn't have thought of it. Next time I will." Cash grinned. "How can I help?"

"Will you hold me?" Paige lay on the bed. "I need to be held."


TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER NINETEEN

The following morning, Paige woke up in Cash's arms. "You stayed with me."

"You needed me."

Paige's face turned a light pink. "It's humid." She glanced toward the door. "I need a shower."

"It feels like a storm's brewing." Cash stretched. "I'll meet you downstairs. I smell coffee. I think everybody's up." He left the room.

After showering and dressing, Paige stared out the window, loosing track of time. When she heard the doorbell, she walked into the hallway. Overhearing Mr. and Mrs. Dwayne Walker Sr. announce themselves, she went downstairs with Morgan by her side. "I'm Paige Stevenson. Why are you here?"

"You're the woman who murdered my son." Mr. Walker stood directly in front of her.

Morgan growled.

Paige patted the pup's head. "I did. He had attacked my friends, tying up one and stashing her and my dog in the mudroom. Then he attacked me. When other friends arrived, he attacked them."

Mrs. Walker cried, "Lies, all lies. My son wouldn't attack anybody."

"He paid the assistant manager of the grocery store to lie and have a friend detained." Paige's hands were on her hips. "He stole a distributor cap from my friend's truck."

Mr. Walker glared at Paige. "You'll rot in jail for what you did to my son. You're slandering our good name."

Paige maintained eye contact. "I doubt it. The police have come to many crime scenes and have seen what he was capable of." She paused. "I think you should leave. By the way, you'll be hearing from my lawyer."

"Your lawyer! How dare you threaten us! We're mourning a son that you murdered." Mrs. Walker's finger shook as it lingered, pointing at Paige.

"And your son has caused nothing but trouble since I came to town." Paige walked to the door and opened it. "Please leave. Or I'll call the police and have you removed."

Mrs. Walker walked out the door. "How dare you talk to us that way! You need to mind your manners, young lady." Her husband followed and Mrs. Walker said, "I guess she doesn't know who we are."

Mr. Walker turned and faced Paige. "She knows all right. She just doesn't care."

You're right, I don't care. Paige stood in the door and watched their Rolls Royce leave, as she said, "What a way to start a day." Cash walked up to her and put his arm around her waist. She turned toward him. "Did you say something about a storm?"

"I did. Not that type, but the Mother Nature type." Cash kissed Paige's forehead. "You doing all right?"

"As soon as I contact my lawyer, I'll be fine." Paige grabbed her cell and went into the library.

*****
It wasn't long before Paige joined her friends around the breakfast table. Cash held a chair while Paige sat. He asked, "Did everything go all right?"

"Yes, Jason Monroe, my family's lawyer, should be contacting the Walkers as we speak. It should be taken care of in a matter of minutes. He's also filing a restraining order on them and all their associates. I shouldn't be bothered again. Mary Pat, would you please pass the biscuits and bowl of fresh fruit?"

Mary Pat handed Paige the plate of biscuits and the bowl. "What are your plans for the day?"

Paige took a biscuit and filled her plate with fruit. "I'm going to relax with my buddy." She petted Morgan, sitting on the floor beside her. "I think I'll do some research. How about you?"

"Sometime today, Billy Joe and I have to go by the house. Our car's license plates are due and it seems proof of insurance isn't in the glove box where it should be." Mary Pat glared at Billy Joe.

"She thinks I left it in my pants pocket and lost it. I don't think she gave it to me."

"You probably lost it," teased Cash. "The hardware store sent over the wrong varnish. I need to take care of it." He took a bite of bacon. "Hmmm, this is good."

"Nala, what are your plans?" asked Paige.

"After lunch, I'm going back to the grocery store and get the groceries."

Paige chewed on her lower lip. "Would you like me to come with you?"

"No. I need to do this myself. I wasn't guilty of anything."

"You don't need to prove anything." Paige touched her hand.

"I know." Nala moved the hash browns around her plate.

Mary Pat stood. "I'll get started on some of the dishes."

Paige picked up some bowls. "I'll help."

*****
While the group ate lunch, Nala glanced out the window before she joined them. "There's dark clouds building in the south. We're probably going to get a late afternoon thunderstorm. I'd better hurry and get my chores done so I can go and get back from the store."

"I'll help. Then Billy Joe and I can do our running around. You haven't found the proof of insurance, have you?" Mary Pat glared at her husband.

"Cash, I'll meet ya outside." Billy Joe left the room, chomping on his tooth pick.

Cash grinned. "I'll get my running done when everybody gets back. That way Paige won't be alone."

"I'll be fine alone, I have my trusty dog." Paige petted Morgan. "Let's help. That way you all can leave and be back before the storm hits."

After the lunch dishes were finished and her friends left, Paige took Morgan on a walk around the back yard. "Boy, the wind's picking up. I'm glad everybody left early. This feels like a nasty storm's building. The temperature's already dropping. Finish your job."

Inside, Paige stood at the front door and looked south. It's really dark. She went into the library, grabbed the Bookman family journal, and curled up on the couch with Morgan beside her. "This is as good a place as any to ride out the storm. They usually don't last too long." She glanced at her watch. "Everybody should be back in ten to fifteen minutes."

Morgan whimpered at the first sound of thunder in the distance.

Paige patted his head. "It's okay. It's still a few miles away. We're safe. When I visited Aunt Paula as a child, we rode out many summer storms sitting right here."

The wind howled as the storm neared. Tree branches blew into the house, causing Morgan to bark. Large limbs fell on the roof and the ground. The lights flickered off and on.

Paige grabbed an afghan and covered herself and the pup. "I knew this one would be bad." She opened a drawer and grabbed the flashlight. "I'm glad Cash insisted on keeping fresh batteries in this. The lights might go out." She glanced toward the door. I wish everybody'd get back. It's dangerous driving in this.

Rain pelleted the house. The bang and crackle of lightning striking close by caused Morgan to yelp. The lights when out. Paige turned on the flashlight. Where Morgan had lain, she felt cooler air on her legs. What happened? Where's Morgan? She paused. "Morgan, Morgan, come here, boy." Paige moved the flashlight beam around, searching the room. "Morgan, I know it's scary. Where are you? Morgan?"





Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a storm brewing. I know you'll be shocked as long as this novel has drawn out, but I actually see the end in sight. LOL I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me. Steven, my youngest son, 21 years has been cleared and no surgery as of now. The antibiotics are doing their job. Thank you for your prayers and well wishes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.