Romance Fiction posted February 17, 2014 Chapters:  ...81 82 -83- 84... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Piage and Cash get closer, but....

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; PART ONE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Early morning sun shone in Paige's eyes, waking her. She glanced around the room, but Cash was nowhere in sight. After she showered and dressed, she and Morgan went downstairs.

Paige stared at the vast backyard from the kitchen window. She looked down at Morgan doing the 'got to go now' dance. "I know you need to go out, but I don't know if it's safe." When she heard footsteps coming up behind her, she turned her head. "It's only you." She released a pent up breath.

"Sorry to disappoint you." Cash grinned.

A slight pink flush came across Paige's cheeks. "I didn't mean it that way. I guess I'm still a little jumpy."

Morgan put his front paws on Paige's right hip and barked.

"He wants out."

"It looks like he's demanding to go out." Cash reached for the doorknob.

Paige put her hand on his arm. "You don't need to do it. I can."

Cash continued to open the door. "Why don't we do it together?"

As the door opened, Morgan pushed his way past them and ran out to the grass.

"I'm sure he feels better." Paige watched the puppy do his business, and then glanced at Cash. "What did you find out last night?"

Cash told Paige the story from the beginning to the end, causing her to laugh.

"Amos must be an interesting individual." Paige smiled.

"That's an understatement. He was well versed on Bookman history. In those books you've been reading does it say anything about their slaves?"

"There are two entire books on their history. I've noticed them, but haven't opened them. Why?" Paige tilted her head. "Should I?"

"I think it might make for some interesting reading. I'm guessing there's even a slave family tree."

"After I set up an appointment with a bounty hunter, I'll check those books out. What do you have planned for the day?"

"Billy Joe and I are going to try to finish the parlor. We're about two months behind on the renovations. The gardener texted me and is complaining. We might just get fired. I heard the boss lady's mighty tough on the help." Cash chuckled.

Paige punched his arm. "Whatever!"

"Ouch!"

They both looked toward the kitchen door when they heard Nala call them for breakfast.

"Morgan, come," Paige called and then yelled, "Race you!" She began running.

"That's not fair. You started before I knew we were racing." Cash jogged after her with the pup leaping up and grabbing his arm in play. "No, Morgan. I have to beat her." He ran.

A few feet from the steps, Cash passed Paige and reached the bottom step before her. "I won." He raised his arms in celebration.

Paige tickled under his arm as she passed, hurried inside the kitchen, and laughed. "Did I forget to mention the winner is the first person inside the house?"

Cash walked in and put his arm around Paige's waist. "I never pictured you as a cheater." He led her to the dining room table. "Let's eat. I'm starved."

Billy Joe and Mary Pat were already seated. Billy Joe laughed. "So you let a girl beat you."

"She cheated." Cash held up Paige's plate. "To get your plate back, you need to admit you cheated."

"Nala, could I please have another plate. A sore loser took mine." Paige laughed.

"It's nice to see everybody's in good spirits today." Nala set the biscuits on the table. "I heard you had quite a time talking with Uncle Amos last night."

"I guess you talked with him. His wife makes a great peach pie. I heard you have the recipe." Billy Joe grinned.

"He mentioned you both really liked it." Nala turned toward the kitchen. "I'll make one for dinner tonight. Do you think after last night you could eat another one or will it go to waste?"

Billy Joe stood and frowned. "Only one?"

*****
After breakfast, Cash and Billy Joe went to buy wallpaper paste. Nala went to the grocery store, and Mary Pat stayed with Paige. They settled on the couch in the library and began searching through one of the books labeled 'Slaves'.

Paige rubbed Morgan's head. "I heard it too, boy. I'm sure the guys are back and unloading supplies."

Mary Pat stood. "I'll check it out."

Morgan's stare continued to follow Mary Pat.

This is a list of run-a-way slaves the Bookmans helped get to the underground railroad. There really are tunnels under this house. Paige looked up as the pup left the room. "All right you check on it. Maybe Mary Pat and the guys need help."

Within moments, Paige heard Morgan bark, growl, and yip. She jumped up and ran to the hallway. "How'd you get in here? Where's Mary and Morgan?"



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a chocolate Labrador. I thought it was time Morgan got a headline. I hope EE doesn't destroy my post with ?'s this week. I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.