Romance Fiction posted February 9, 2014 Chapters:  ...80 81 -82- 83... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe return home.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN, PART FIVE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"I believe something's going on." Cash stared out the windshield and continued to drive. "I just don't know what. None of this makes any sense."

"One thing I know for sure; there ain't no such thing as ghosts." Billy Joe tapped the dashboard.

The car's engine stalled.

Billy Joe's eyes widened as he whispered, "Cash, did the wind just pick up?"

TODAY'S POST:

"Don't be ridiculous. A wire jarred loose on this gravel road. I hope Colt put a flashlight in this thing." Cash opened the car door.

"Didn't he rebuild the engine just before the car accident?" Billy Joe stared at Cash.

"Yep, but a wire could still be loose. Get out and help me look for a flashlight."

"I ain't movin' from this seat. It's dark out there and there ain't a moon or any stars. There's bears, mountain lions, and who know what else in those woods."

"The only animals out here are gators and we're too far from the swamp to be bothered with them. Come on and help so we can get home. We've been gone long enough; the girls are getting worried."

Billy Joe got out of the car and searched the back seat. "Good, at least we got a shotgun. If a bear gets close, I'll shoot him."

"Is the gun loaded?" Cash chuckled.

"I bet there's buckshot in the glove box." Billy Joe looked and held up a box. "It's here."

"Good. I'm glad we're safe from animals that don't exist." Cash continued searching the trunk. "He's got everything under the sun in here, but a flashlight. Nope wait. Here's one." Cash shut the trunk. "Hold this while I see what the problem is."

Cash unlatched the hood and opened it. "Now, I know why that piece of wood was in the trunk. Get it for me, unless you want to hold the hood open."

"I'm making sure no critter sneaks up on us." He headed for the rear of the car. "I'll look for more batteries. These are pretty weak."

After Billy Joe handed his buddy the wood, Cash propped the hood up. "Get the light over here. I can't see a thing."

Billy Joe pointed the flashlight toward the engine. "It doesn't give off much. I didn't see any new batteries."

"It'll have to do." Within moments, Cash stood straight up. "I can't see anything. All I know is there's an engine in there. Damn it!"

The engine started.

"You must of done something." Billy Joe looked under the hood.

"Nope, didn't touch a thing."

The flashlight became brighter.

Billy Joe ran to get inside the car. "This place is strange. Let's get out of here."

Cash closed the hood. "I'm not arguing."

*****
When Cash and Billy Joe returned, Mary Pat walked down the stairs and kissed her husband. "Did you find out anything?"

"We did but we're not sure what, yet." Cash glanced up the stairs.

"Being attacked and all finally hit Paige. She's pretty upset. If they don't arrest Walker soon, she'll shoot him herself." Mary Pat took Billy Joe's hand. "Let's go upstairs." She faced Cash. "You coming?"

"I'll be up in a few minutes. I want to check on some things." Cash walked into the kitchen and stared out the backdoor. Paige won't get a chance to shoot Walker. I'll kill him with my bare hands. He chuckled as he made sure the door was locked. Besides she hates guns. She's one of those East Coast liberals.

After Cash poured a glass of water, he checked the front door, and then went into the library. I drank enough coffee I won't sleep for days. Those ornery old coots. He stared at Bradley's photo. Speaking of ornery old coots, if you are a ghost why aren't you showing yourself. Is there really a treasure? If there is, why aren't you helping us find it? Or maybe you don't want us to find it, or maybe you want us to find it ourselves, or maybe there's no treasure. Cash finished the glass of water. "Hell, now you have me talking to a picture. This whole thing's stupid."

The glass fell from Cash's hand as he watched the photo of Bradley sway against the wall.

Moments later, Cash said, "If you have something to say, just say it. There's no sense in being secretive." He picked up the empty glass. "I'm going to bed. You do what you want."

Cash fell forward. He turned and looked behind his back. Who just kicked me? He climbed the stairs two at a time. I know better than to drink that much coffee. It's making me hallucinate. I'd better check on Paige. He slightly pushed the door open and noticed her on her side. Good, she's asleep.

As he started to leave, Paige asked, "Cash, is that you?"

"It is. Do you need anything?"

"Not really. I was just wondering if you found out anything new."

"Nothing that can't wait 'til morning. You'd better get some sleep."

Paige sat up in bed. "Would you sit with me for a while?"

How can I refuse with all she's been through today? Cash walked into the room, sat on the edge of the bed, touched the dressing on her neck, and dried tears on her cheek. "I'm glad it was only a scratch." He petted Morgan lying beside her.

"Are the police really trying to catch Dwayne or does his family have too much clout around here?"

"I don't know." Their eyes met as Cash continued, "You could probably throw a little clout around. I bet you or your family could make some pretty big waves."

Paige forced a smile. "Maybe tomorrow, I should call a TV station and set a five hundred thousand dollar reward for Dwayne Walker, dead or alive."

Cash tilted his head and nodded. "That would make the townspeople take notice. You might want to do something a little less showy."

"How about I hire a P.I. or a bounty hunter?" Paige touched Cash's arm. "That's it. Why haven't I thought of this before? I'll hire a bounty hunter. Do you know any? Where would I find one?" She reached for the phone book. "Do they advertise?"

After Cash too the book from Paige and set it on the nightstand, he said, "You can check into that in the morning. You really need to get some sleep."

"I tried, but can't. When I close my eyes, I hear all sorts of sounds and think somebody's in the house."

"I drank so much coffee I won't be asleep for hours. What if I sit here until you fall asleep?"

"I'd appreciate that." Paige cuddled under the covers. "Good night, Cash."

He reached over and kissed her cheek. "Good night."





Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of lonely night. I have used some language that would be appropriate for that area and the people. I do not think it's appropriate or do I use that language myself. I have substituted 'd' in place of 'th' when Amos speaks. I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.