Romance Fiction posted January 19, 2014 Chapters:  ...77 78 -79- 80... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe meet Amos

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN, PART TWO

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Clyde tapped his thigh, and Dog stood beside him. "What kind of things? I know the place is haunted and a pretty Yankee livin' there."

Cash grinned. Davis was right. These people know everything about everybody.

"Ever hear about a treasure chest?" asked Billy Joe.

The old man wiped his lips with a dark blue handkerchief. "I might be able to help ya if there was some of Molly's peach pie and a big scoop of 'nilla ice cream on it with a cup of coffee."


TODAY'S POST:

Cash chuckled. "Where might we find this Molly? I bet her peach pie is mighty tasty." He rubbed his stomach.

"It is. I heard a few minutes ago a fresh pie just came out of da oven." Clyde adjusted his tattered straw hat and started walking toward a lit up diner. "Right this way. We'll stop and get Amos. He likes pie, too. His great-grandpappy worked on that plantation. If we hurry, the pie'll be warm."

*****
After the introductions, the four men continued to the diner. Inside, Dog crawled under the table.

As the men waited, they sipped coffee. Cash glanced around the diner and smoothed the checkered tablecloth. "This is a nice place."

"What were ya expectin'?" Amos took out his well-worn pocket knife and cleaned his corncob pipe.

"To be honest, I didn't know what to expect." Cash set the cup down. "Clyde said some of your ancestors worked the Bookman plantation."

"My whole family did, me included. My niece still works there."

"Nala's your niece?" Billy Joe's eyes widened.

"Sho' is." Amos grinned when a large slice of pie was set in front of him. "Dem Bookmans was good people. Dey pretended we was slaves, but paid us decent wages so dem uppity white folks wouldn't cause no trouble." He took a bite of pie and smacked his lips. "Story has it dat under dat house used to be one of dem underground railroads. Dey was helpin' our people get out." He glanced toward Clyde. "Remember my pa telling about dat Walker devil trying to kill James Bookman 'cause five slaves ran away and he accused Bookman helpin' dem?"

"I hear that battle still goin' on. Them families never could get along and they even married each other." Clyde shook his head. "Umm this pie's sho' is good." He smacked his lips.

After taking a bite of pie, Cash asked, "Ever hear of a treasure chest?" He took another bite. "This is really good. Does Nala have this recipe?"

Amos laughed. "How well do you know my niece?"

Both Billy Joe and Cash smiled. Cash glanced at the two men dressed in bib-overalls. "She's a wonderful lady and friend. We're friends with the present owner."

"Ya must be dose guys Nala said were helping Ms. Swanson against dem Walkers." Amos moved closer and studied Cash and Billy Joe and then he pointed his pipe at Cash. "Ya must be da man smitten by dat purdy Yankee. I heard tell she's as purdy as a speckled pup."

Is there anything he doesn't know? Cash sipped his coffee and studied the men.

"We're those guys." Billy Joe grinned and looked at Cash. "Think Nala'll bake us one of these pies?" After Cash nodded, Billy Joe continued, "We can't help unless we know if there's a real treasure chest and where it's hidden. Paige says she never heard of it."

"I'm sure she ain't." Amos set his fork down. "The story of da treasure goes all da way back to Bradley Bookman. Either of ya seen him around da house?"

Cash and Billy Joe stared at each other as their faces paled.

Amos laughed. "Ya look like ya done saw a ghost."

"Ain't no such thing as ghosts." Billy Joe straightened his shoulders.

"If ya say so." Amos chuckled. "We better have some more coffee and another slice of dat pie if we's gonna tell dat story."



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a slice of peach pie. I have used some language that would be appropriate for that area and the people. I do not think it's appropriate or do I use that language myself. I have substituted 'd' in place of 'th' when Amos speaks. I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.