Romance Fiction posted January 12, 2014 Chapters:  ...76 77 -78- 79... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe set another plan in motion.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN, PART ONE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN


As the conversation continued about the treasure chest, Nala escorted Dr. Marc Henderson into the library.

Paige glanced up and rolled her eyes. "The knife only scratched me. I certainly don't need an ER doctor. I'm sorry they bothered you."

"You seem to be one accident-prone lady. Maybe you need a better class of friends." Marc set his bag on an end table.

"My friends had nothing to do with this. They didn't know what was happening." Paige petted Morgan's head. "My buddy was locked up so he couldn't help either. Let's get this over with."

"While the doc takes care of Paige, we can finish the conversation in the parlor." Cash led the group.

Mary Pat started to follow but hesitated. "I think I'll stay with Paige."

"I'll get some drinks and snacks." Nala walked to the kitchen.

After the men were seated, Cash looked Det. Davis in the eyes. "Any ideas on how to find out if the treasure chest's real?"

"If you follow the Savannah River out past Jasper Hwy, there's an area between Abercom Creek and Big Collis Creek. In this area lives a neighborhood of colored people. They're from old slave families and plenty of folklore has been passed down through generations. They're the only ones I'd know that'd know if there ever was a treasure. Them people knew everything about the families they worked for." Det. Davis shook his head. "I'd sure be careful if you go there. They don't take too kindly to white folks entering their area."

Billy Joe studied his buddy. "We going?"

"Yep. We have to find out if there's a treasure." Cash grinned. "We'd better not take Paige's Jaguar."

Davis stood. "I'll leave you two to your business. Don't call me if you get into trouble. They have their own justice system and don't take too kindly to the police. I'm going back to the station and adding to Walkers' arrest warrant."

After the police left, Cash called Karen. "Hey, how's my favorite sister-in-law? Do you still have that old beat-up car Colt worked on?" He listened. "Does it run?" Silence, then Cash said, "Billy Joe and I are on the way."

"Remember that old, rusted, two-door Chevy that my brother Colt was restoring?" Cash's eyes met Billy Joe's. When his buddy nodded, Cash continued, "That'd be perfect to drive to that area. Nobody'd want a thing from it."

"You sure you want to drive it? You haven't touched anything of his since he died."

Cash was silent. "It's hard losing your brother. Earlier that day, we'd set a date for a camping trip. We were taking his son. Car accidents happen so fast." He hesitated. "You know Colt would want us to use that old junker, if it'd help."

After they told Paige and Mary Pat their plans, the two men left.

*****
The sun still peeked over the horizon as Cash parked the old Chevy on the gravel street. He and Billy Joe leaned against the car's hood. Billy Joe removed his toothpick. "We won't have light much longer. Where to from here?"

"Don't know." Cash started walking.

"Where ya headed?"

"Don't know, just walking 'til I find somebody who'll talk. I'm guessing if we walk up and down the street enough somebody'll get curious."

"That's as good a plan as any." Billy Joe walked beside his buddy.

On the fifth trip back and forth on what looked like the main road, an older red-bone hound slumbered closer to the men. Cash knelt down and petted the dog. "Howdy." The dog nuzzled his head closer. Cash laughed. "I see you like attention." He took both hands and rubbed each side of the hound's neck. "Oh! You like that, uh?"

Cash continued until a gray-haired man walked partway onto the gravel road. Cash glanced up. "Hello. Your dog?"

"Yep."

"What's his name? I bet he did some hunting in his day."

"I call him, Dog. Yep, he liked ta hunt." The man eyed Billy Joe. "Ya don't like dogs?"

"I like dogs, but Dog seems to prefer my buddy."

The old man nodded. "Yep. I guess yar right. What brings you down here? We don't see too many of yar kind around here."

Cash stood but continued petting the dog's head. "We need some information and was told somebody down here'd have it." He offered his hand. "Cash Wilkins, and my friend here is Billy Joe Johnson."

Billy Joe offered his hand.

The old man studied them before he offered his hand. "Clyde Washington." He looked up and down the street. "What'd ya need to know?"

"Do you know anything about the old Bookman plantation?" Cash's eyes met Clyde's.

Clyde tapped his thigh, and Dog stood beside him. "What kind of things? I know the place is haunted and a pretty Yankee livin' there."

Cash grinned. Davis was right. These people know everything about everybody.

"Ever hear about a treasure chest?" asked Billy Joe.

The old man wiped his lips with a dark blue handkerchief. "I might be able to help ya if there was some of Molly's peach pie and a big scoop of 'nilla ice cream on it with a cup of coffee."




Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a gravel road in the swamp area around Savannah, GA. I have used some language that would be appropriate for that area and the people. I do not think it's appropriate or do I use that language myself. I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.