Romance Fiction posted January 5, 2014 Chapters:  ...75 76 -77- 78... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige identifies Walker.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER SIXTEEN, PART FOUR

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As Cash parked, he asked, "When do we have to return this SUV?"

"They're sending somebody tomorrow afternoon to pick it up." Paige smiled. "Look, they're packing up. You guys wait here. I'll go out back and get Morgan. I'll meet you inside." She jogged around the corner of the house.

Paige stuck her key inside the doorknob lock and her body stiffened. A hand placed over her mouth prevented her from screaming. An object stuck in her back between her shoulder blades.

Morgan's bark changed to a growl and then a snarl from inside the old kitchen. Paige heard him bang against the door.

TODAY'S POST:

Cash stood in the kitchen, moved the curtain, and then stared out the backdoor window. "Didn't Paige say she was getting Morgan and would meet us inside?"

Mary Pat stood beside Cash. "That she did. I thought she'd be waiting for us." She turned her head sideways so her ear was closer to the door. "Listen. Isn't that Morgan?"

"Yep, and he's angry. We'd better rescue her. Ya know how much trouble that dang Yankee can get into." Billy Joe chuckled and then set the toothpick tighter between his teeth.

Cash and Billy Joe rushed out the door and down the hill toward the outside kitchen. Mary Pat followed behind. Nala stood on the back porch.

The person who had grabbed Paige glanced up at the two men coming toward him. He tossed her to the ground and ran.

Cash yelled, "Billy Joe, stay with her. Mary Pat, call the cops." He ran after the suspect.

"Cash, no! He has a knife!" Paige held her breath and then released it. "Cash, come back."

*****
Billy Joe removed his shirt and used the sleeve as he held pressure on Paige's neck with one hand and used the tail and other hand to apply pressure across the right chest area above her breast.

"I'm fine, they're only scratches." Paige took over applying pressure to her chest. "He wanted to scare me into talking more than hurt me."

Silence continued until Paige heard dead leaves crackle and started to rise.

Billy Joe stood, used his hand to motion her to stay, and grabbed a knife from the sheath inside his boot. He turned, held his finger across his lips, nodded, and crept to the corner of the outside kitchen with the knife ready to attack.

Paige held her breath, afraid to breathe. This is my fault. As the sound of steps came closer, Paige hid her face in her hands. She turned her head toward the house when she heard sirens. Good. The police are close.

"Hey, buddy, you need to let me know you're comin' this direction." Billy Joe held up his knife. "I 'bout gotch ya." He replaced it in his boot-sheath.

"I lost him. He had a get-away vehicle on the next block." Cash put his hands down to help Paige. "You all right?"

"He sliced her a few times. I can't tell how deep." Billy Joe moved aside the shirt, revealing the cuts.

"You need medical attention." Cash ran his fingers through his hair, and then let Morgan loose. "You didn't get a chance to help, did you, buddy?" He rubbed the dog on both sides of his neck.

"They're only scratches, they aren't deep." Paige bent down and petted her pup.

Mary Pat led the police down the hill. Detective Davis asked, "Can you identify the man who did this?"

"Dwayne Walker. I recognized his voice. He tried to stay behind me, but I got two or three glimpses of him. He wanted the treasure that I don't know anything about." Paige glared at the police officer and revealed her injuries. "Now will you arrest him?"

*****
As everyone found a seat in the library, Cash asked, "Nala, would you get Paige a doctor's appointment? Those cuts need looked at."

Nala nodded and left the room.

Detective Davis studied Paige. "I need to know what you know about the treasure. It seems to be the root of all the problems around here."

"I've said this from the beginning and I'll say it again. I do not know anything about a treasure." Paige petted Morgan's head. "From my earliest memories, I've spent every summer in this house. I can't remember not spending summers here. Uncle Andrew and Aunt Paula never mentioned a treasure. I used to explore this entire house and I never found anything that even resembled a treasure chest. They had money, but I figured it was old money like my parents."

Davis took time scanning the room and then stared at each person. "If that's true, why do Dwayne Walker, James Davis Junior, and Tyler Davis believe there's a treasure?"




Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a plantations old outdoor kitchen. I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.