Romance Fiction posted December 8, 2013 Chapters:  ...71 72 -73- 74... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The police chief and Paige talk.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER FIFTEEN; PART FIVE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:

The foursome followed the young officer through the narrow halls to the chief of police's office.

Mary Pat touched his engraved name plate on the door. "Police Chief Robert Dennison. Boy, this case ranks high."

"Maybe it has something to do with who Paige is?" Billy Joe followed his wife through the door.

When Cash and Paige entered the room, the Police Chief offered his hand. Cash accepted it. He motioned for them to sit. "How can I help?"

Paige put both hands on his desk and leaned forward. "I need answers. I was told you have some answers."

TODAY'S POST:

Chief Robert Dennison took a sip of steaming coffee. "Ma'am, I'll do my best. Have a seat and start with your questions." He sat in a black swivel chair and pushed his half eaten sandwich away.

Paige, Cash, and Billy Joe each asked their questions. While Chief Dennison listened, he took notes.

When the three finished, Robert glanced at Mary Pat. "Do you have anything to add?"

"I think my friends have covered everything." Mary Pat folded her hands in her lap.

"Okay, I'll answer the first question." The police chief read from his notepad. "How did Tyler and Daniel get a key to the mansion?" His eyes met Paige's. "According to the suspects, James Davis Junior and Daniel Walker, Alan Redman handed them the keys late yesterday afternoon, around four-thirty."

"That doesn't make sense. He's the executor of my aunt and uncle's estate. He's worked for the family for years." Paige rolled her shoulders. "Do you know why?"

Wrinkles formed in Roger's forehead. "Not really. They said something about Dr. Walker, but nothing has been verified, so I hesitate to say anything." He pointed to his paper. "Again according to the suspects, they were looking for treasure and a paper stating the house and money goes to a direct line in the Bookman genealogy. That was your second question."

Cash turned toward Paige. "We're getting the same information we already have."

"When Uncle Andrew died, Aunt Paula never mentioned a treasure or anything about a Bookman line. I have no idea what they're talking about. I've spent every summer in that house since I was four." Paige paused, and then asked, "Have you questioned Redman and Walker? I thought they were brought in this afternoon."

"So far my men haven't located them. It seems they've left town for a few days." The police chief tapped his pen on the pad then made a note.

Billy Joe removed his toothpick before he asked, "Why haven't your men checked the crime scene, yet?"

"Some members of this police department are Gullah and won't enter the house until it's deemed safe. I can't force somebody to go against their faith."

Paige's eyes widened. "What's Gullah? I thought it was a language similar to Creole."

"It's from the low country, right?" Billy Joe asked.

"You're right, Mr. Johnson. The Gullah people believe in witchcraft or 'wudu' or 'juju' as they call it." Chief Dennison rapped his fingers on the desk.

"I have a ghost not a witch." Paige folded her arms.

"Well, Ma'am the way I understand it, to these people they're similar because they believe dangerous spirits are capable of enslaving a person by controlling his will. Sometimes they paper their walls with newsprint believing the spirit must first read each and every word before taking action."

Billy Joe chuckled. "That'd be a problem if they can't read."

Mary Pat stared at her husband, put her finger across her lips, and nodded.

The police chief continued, "They believe souls leave the bodies at death and if it's a good soul it goes to Heaven, but the spirit of a person has a different function. A good spirit stays behind to watch over their family left behind, protecting them if need be." Robert rubbed the back of his neck. "A bad spirit is a 'boo hag' and uses witchcraft to manipulate people and steal energy from the living while they sleep. Boo hags are like vampires because they're undead beings that feed off humans. They're skinless and bright red in color with bulging blue veins. In order to survive they must steal a living person's skin and wear it like clothes. At night they shed the skin and go looking for a new victim."

Paige rubbed her arms from the shoulders to the elbows. "That gives me goose-bumps."

"Me too." Mary Pat squeezed her husband's hand.

"It seems we hit one road block after another." Paige released a deep breath.

Her friends nodded in agreement.

"The suspects have not admitted to any previous wrong doings on your property." Dennison made another mark on the paper. "That answers question number three."

"Did Bart tell you Davis's handprint was on Paige's Jaguar?" Cash's hands made fists, stretched out, and then repeated the action.

The police chief nodded.

"When you find Walker ask him about the racial note taped to Paige's door." Billy Joe shoved his toothpick into his front shirt pocket. "I'd like to hear his answer."

"I don't know what happened at Ms. Wilkins's house or your black servant's." The police chief answered the phone and said, "I'm almost finished here." He stood. "I've answered all the questions."

"The lady who helps me around the house has a name, Ms. Nala Jackson. I expect you to use her name from now on. Do you understand?" Paige stood, placed both hands on the desk and leaned closer.

Chief Dennison avoided eye contact and grimaced. "I need to leave. Redman was found and he's in the interrogation room."

"Can we listen in?" Billy Joe stood.

"I can't allow that. If I find out anything, I'll notify you by telephone." Robert opened the door for the foursome to leave.

Paige's eyes met his. "I'll be waiting for you to drop by the house after you question Mr. Redman. I'd like to know why Walker's blackmailing him." She left the room, and then turned around to face the police chief. "Mr. Blake and I'll be discussing Bradley Bookman."

Cash took Paige's hand. "Ready to go home and fight the next battle?"








Recognized


Thank you "Melinda's Midnight 2010" for 'A Boo Hag peers through a keyhole.' This one gives me goose-bumps. I use a lot of dialogue, so if you don't like reading dialogue, please don't read. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.