Romance Fiction posted November 24, 2013 Chapters:  ...69 70 -71- 72... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The foursome arrive home.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER FIFTEEN; PART THREE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:

Billy Joe's eyes widened, "Cash, we need gas."

"We have a quarter a tank. It can wait."

"No, it can't. There's a station next exit. Take it."

Cash took the next exit, got out of the SUV, and pumped gas. "What's so urgent?"

Billy Joe stood beside him. "Do you think Paige hired somebody to provide special effects in the house?"

"With her money, it's possible."

"She said she didn't. Would she lie to us?" Billy Joe glanced toward the girls in the SUV.

TODAY'S POST:

While Cash pumped gas, he and Billy Joe talked. Inside the SUV Mary Pat placed her hand on Paige's and said, "Billy Joe told me that Cleve was killed in a car accident."

"Yes, Cash did mention it."

"How are you holding up?"

"Fine. I'm sending flowers to his parents."

"You were engaged to this man. You sure you're all right?"

"Yes. On Valentines' Day, I surprised him by showing up at his hotel room. I found him in bed with a blonde and felt pure rage. It hurt. I wasn't sure I could continue living. For a while we tried to make it work, but he'd always do something proving I couldn't trust him. He taught me to be very leery of men. For that I thank him."

Billy Joe opened the SUV door and sat. "What you two been talkin' about?"

"Nothing much. Just girl things." Mary Pat smiled.

"So been talkin' about me and Cash."

Paige tilted her head. "Neither one of you came up."

Cash scooted behind the steering wheel. "It should be a clear shot back to Savannah. Ready?"

"I can't wait to see what happened." Paige stared out the window. "I'm surprised Bradley Bookman showed himself."

"She even named her creation," whispered Billy Joe to Cash. "There ain't no such thing as ghosts. Buddy, you need to set her straight." He turned back around, stared out the windshield, and muttered, "Artsy-fartsy types and their imagination."

Mary Pat poked her husband in the shoulder.

*****
As Cash parked the SUV by the curb in front of Paige's mansion, Paige asked, "Does that crime scene tape mean I can't go in my own house?"

"Probably so." Cash hesitated. "There's a policeman by that oak tree." He pointed. "Let's ask."

The four friends walked toward the officer.

"I'm Officer Baker, can I assist you?" He extended his hand.

Cash accepted the hand. "Yes." He pointed to Paige. "This house belongs to her." Paige waved as Cash continued, "We were in Atlanta for a few days and would like to know what's going on."

"I'd like to go inside and unpack." Paige glanced toward the house.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, Ma'am. There are ghosts in that house, and until the paranormal investigators arrive and deem the house safe, nobody's allowed to enter." The officer's jaw set.

Cash took Paige's arm and led her away from the others. "Don't you think it's about time you come clean about the special effects? How much did they cost? They must've been really good."

Paige glared at Cash. "I don't know anything about this. I honestly had nothing to do with it."

The officer walked over to Paige and Cash. "Bart told me to call when you returned. He's on his way."

"Good. Maybe he can shed some light on this." Cash ran his fingers through his hair.

*****
Before long Bart arrived. "Did you enjoy the game? I watched it on TV, and it was a good game."

"The game was great." Cash shook hands with Bart. "We're not sure what's going on."

Billy Joe removed the toothpick from his mouth and pointed to Officer Baker. "That cop over there says we can't go inside."

Bart glanced at Paige. "Did you know the house was inhabited by a ghost?"

"I suspected it but didn't know for sure. Why?"

"Come with me and I'll show you the videos." Bart walked toward his car. "I'll meet you at the police station."

Billy Joe pulled Cash aside. "Ya gonna let this continue? Ya don't believe in ghosts, do ya?"

"No. Paige swears she had nothing to do with it, and I believe her. We need to take a look at that video and see what's going on."

"I guess that's all we can do right now."

The men hurried to the SUV. After Cash unlocked the door, the four climbed in and followed Bart to the police station.




Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a house covered with crime scene tape. When the group arrived home crime scene tape coved the house. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.