Romance Fiction posted November 11, 2013 Chapters:  ...67 68 -69- 70... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe talk.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

CHAPTER FIFTEEN; PART ONE

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Cash had just finished shaving when he heard a knock on the door between the two hotel rooms. With his shirt off and a towel in his hand, he unlocked it. "Shh, Paige's sleeping."

"I know why Mary Pat's still sleepin' but not Paige." Billy Joe eyed his buddy.

"It's a long story. I'll explain everything over a cup of coffee. What's going on?"

"I was watchin' the news and saw Cleve Clover was killed last night in a car accident."

"Paige's ex-fianc©?"

"Yep. It's under investigation. Think this will affect Paige?"

"Don't know. We'll have to wait and see." Cash glanced at the towel. "I'll finish getting dressed and we can go down and get something to eat. I'll leave a note for Paige."

Billy Joe laughed. "I never thought of you as a note-leavin' sorta guy."

"Give me ten minutes." Cash went into the bathroom.

*****
After Cash explained everything that had happened last night, Billy Joe grinned. "I bet Paige was as mad as a ol' wet banty hen."

"That she was." Cash checked his watch. "How long do you think we should let the girls sleep?"

"It's what, seven o'clock? I'd say another two hours. We don't wanta three-hour ride back with two grouchy females."

"That's for sure." Cash rubbed the cheek that Paige had slapped. "Last night, I saw all of Paige's anger I care to see."

"Mary Pat can sure do some yellin'. Why'd we choose such pain-in-the-ass women anyway?"

"You need to answer that one yourself. I haven't chosen any woman."

"I got eyes, ain't I? Paige's yours. You two just need to set the wedding day."

"Yeah, right?" Cash chuckled. "No fancy lady from Boston would even think about marrying a Southern country boy."

"I knew you weren't too bright when it came to women, but, buddy, you're way off. Paige's just waitin' for you to pop the question."

"It won't happen." Cash sipped his coffee.

"You'll be married within a month. I know it." Billy Joe hesitated. "Heard anything from Bart?"

"I got a strange text last night. I answered but no reply."

"Have you tried callin'?"

"Yep, nothing."

"That's strange." Billy Joe searched the room. "These hoity-toity places may have good food, but the service stinks. Back at Ma' Jones' my coffee mug would've been refilled ten minutes ago and waitin' to do it again."

Cash took a sip. "I know, but I think we're supposed to visit and sip our coffee."

"These cups are tiny and dainty; not a man's mug. They didn't even have biscuits and gravy or grits on the menu. This is the South. Atlanta's the heart of the South. Too many Yankees came down here."

"I think I'll step outside and try calling Bart."

"I'll wait for the waitress." Billy Joe stared at his empty coffee cup, turned it upside down, and shook it.

*****
Cash walked over to a shaded area, searched for Bart's phone number, and then pressed dial. On the third ring, Bart answered. "Cash, here. Any news from last night?" He listened. "What? You've got to be kidding! For real?" He rubbed the back of his neck. "As soon as the girls get ready, we're headed back."

After Cash put his phone away, he stood still and shook his head. "Damn! Who would've expected that?"

A few moments later, Cash stood beside his buddy. "We need to get the girls up and get back to Savannah. We've opened a hornets' nest, and it's not pretty. Come on. We need to hurry."

"But I just got my coffee." Billy Joe gulped his cup empty. "I needed that. What happened?"

"I'll explain on the way."

"It's Paige's ghost, ain't it?"

"Partly. Come on."



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a filled coffee cup. The cup looks to me as if it were China. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.