Romance Fiction posted September 15, 2013 Chapters:  ...60 61 -62- 63... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Bigotry rears it's ugly head.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 13, part four

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The women followed the census in 1890.

Paige giggled. "It's like we are spying on them. It's fun finding out how old Isaiah, Elijah, Ezekiel, and Abigail were in 1890. Alice never lists their birthdays. Let's go to the 1900 census and see if we can find out who Isaiah married. The brooch should have been passed down to her."

When the 1900 census listed Ann as deceased, tears entered Paige's eyes. "I wonder what happened."

TODAYS POST:

Cash and Billy Joe entered the library and saw the four women with tears welled in their eyes. "What's wrong?" they asked in unison.

"Ann never lived long enough to watch her children get married." Paige wiped a tear and hugged Morgan. "She died before 1900."

"Now, ya know where the brooch stopped." Billy Joe pointed toward it with his tooth pick.

Mary Pat's eye widened. "Aren't you at least concerned that Ann died?"

"Of course she died. Why wouldn't she? Everybody does."

"But she never saw her grandchildren." Paige touched the diary.

"It wasn't uncommon during that time period. There weren't the medicines there are today, and in this area yellow fever was a real problem. Many women died in childbirth." Cash picked up Morgan and sat beside Paige.

"I know, but I was hoping for a different ending." Paige rested her head against Cash's arm and petted the pup's head.

The dog barked. Everyone glanced at the front door when they heard a knock.

Nala's eyebrows rose. "It's probably that salesman who keeps coming around."

Faye stood. "I'll answer it. I'm good at getting rid of them. Cash, where's your shotgun?" She laughed.

"Rear window of my pickup." As Cash watched his mom leave the room, he shook his head. "She's a feisty lady."

*****
When Faye answered the door, the man said, "Ms. Swanson finally got herself a new maid. That darky was lazy and didn't do her job." He pushed his way past her.

"Excuse me, young man. I never invited you inside." Faye followed.

"I don't need an invitation. Where's the lady of the house?"

Cash stepped into the foyer. "Is there a problem?"

The man glanced at the curtain covering the parlor doorway. "I see you're still working on the house, and still wasting time. The entire house could've been renovated in a week."

"What are you doing here?" Cash blocked the doorway to the library.

"I have business with Ms. Swanson."

"She didn't mention you had an appointment."

"I don't need an appointment. You know who I am?"

"You're Dr. Dwayne Walker, but that doesn't mean you can show up whenever you like. That ain't a Southern gentleman's way. I'll check and see if Paige has time for you today." Cash turned toward Paige.

Their eyes met. Paige smiled and nodded. "Show him in." She covered the grin with her hand. "How can I help you, Mr. Walker?"

Dwayne glanced around the room at the others. "This is a private matter."

"Okay, I don't keep secrets from my friends. If you're uncomfortable talking in front of them, we can go into the next room." Paige smiled, raised herself by using the crutches, and walked into the foyer. "Nala?" She paused. "Mr. Walker owes you an apology." Her eyes met his. "Mr. Walker?"

Deep red crept across his face as the veins in his neck and forehead bulged out. His eyes glared daggers at Paige, and then toward Nala. "Sorry."

Nala curtsied. "Thank you, Dr. Walker."

When Nala returned to the library, Paige led Dwayne into the dining room. She flipped a page on the chart so it couldn't be read. "That wasn't much of an apology, but I guess it'll do. What are you doing here?"

"This afternoon, I was called into Patterson's office. It seems you have resigned and he's blaming me. What accusations have you made against me?"

"I mailed a letter stating that I refused to work with you." Paige reached under the paper and removed a note from the chart. "You have been rude to Nala." She held up the note. "You either taped this to my door or had somebody do it. The same for Nala's door bell. You probably hired somebody to do your dirty work. I doubt you'd do it yourself."

"Do you know who I am?"

"You're a department head at SCAD and a bigot. I don't need the job, so I quit."

"My family was one of the first to settle this area. We own most of the land and money in this fine city."

"Not any more. You lost the money playing the Chicago commodities, and the state's about ready to foreclose on the property because you're behind on taxes." Paige smiled. "Maybe I'll buy the land and give it to Nala for a Christmas present."

Dwayne lunged toward Paige. "How dare you insult my family by even suggesting such an outrageous thing!"



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of the US and Confederate flags. Things are starting to heat up as answers are found. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you WILL be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.