Romance Fiction posted September 1, 2013 Chapters:  ...58 59 -60- 61... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New problems.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 13, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:
"Here, Mr. Cash. Have a glass of nice cold tea." Nala held the tray out for him to choose one.

Cash put the glass up to his mouth to take a sip.

Morgan jumped up, barked, and snarled at Cash's feet.

Something jerked Cash's elbow, forcing tea to splash his face.

TODAY'S POST:

Nala grabbed a kitchen towel and began wiping off Cash. "Mr. Cash, what happened?"

Paige and Mary Pat moved closer to see if they could help.

Cash took the towel and dried off his face. "I don't know. Something hit my elbow. Hard."

"Sure it wasn't that pup?" Billy Joe pointed at Morgan, who had calmed down.

"It wasn't him."

"I think it's obvious." Paige returned to her chair. "You don't believe Bradley Bookman exists, so he showed you how real he is."

"That's just plain ridiculous." Billy Joe chomped on his toothpick. "There ain't no such thing as ghosts. That mutt of yours hit Cash's arm."

"Write these facts down." Paige raised one finger. "A brooch, mother-of-pearl hair-comb, and a mourning necklace were found in the bathroom cabinet. They weren't there earlier that morning." She raised another finger. "Number two. Cash found a small wooden box, which held a cameo necklace, a seed pearl necklace, and a stack of Confederate bills from a wardrobe that held a shoebox of old photographs a few days earlier."

"Exactly what's your point? We all know what we've found in the house." Cash handed the towel to Nala. "Thank you."

"Bradley Bookman's giving us clues." Paige tilted her head.

"Then why doesn't he just tell us the answers?" asked Cash.

"That I don't know. After I broke my ankle, I'm sure he helped me to bed. He's planted the Civil War artifacts so we know it's him."

"If he's so helpful, then why'd he let those men hit and tie us up?" asked Mary Pat.

"I don't know. Maybe he was visiting somebody else that day or maybe the weather wasn't right." Paige's shoulders slouched. "This is a mystery."

"You got that right." Billy Joe held the marker up. "What else do I need to write?"

"Paige is right. You need to add the jewelry and artifacts that continue to show up for no reason." Cash nodded for his buddy to write.

Paige petted the pup's head. "You need to add how Morgan reacts when Bradley's around."

Cash's eyebrows rose. "Now, you're pushing it." After Paige wrinkled her nose and scrunched her eyebrows at him, he shook his head. "Go ahead and add it." Cash answered his ringing cell phone. "I'm on my way." He stood. "Billy Joe, come on. Mom's got trouble."

*****
After Cash parked in his mom's driveway, he jumped out of the pickup and stared at his mom's car. "Holy shit! The back tires are flat." He walked to the front. "These too."

Billy Joe followed his friend. "They been slashed." He pointed toward a slit. "A knife did this. It ain't no accident."

"We'd better get inside." Cash took three steps toward the house and stopped. "Just cause they're mad at me doesn't mean they should take it out on my mom. She's never hurt anybody." He stood in front of the smashed picture window.

"They must'a used a brick to make that big of a hole."

The two men went inside.

Faye met them at the door and hugged Cash. "What's going on?"

Cash kissed her cheek. "I don't know. All this has something to do with the house Paige inherited. We're not sure exactly what." He glanced around. "Get your things. You're not staying here." He called the police.

Billy Joe waited until Faye couldn't hear him and then asked, "Do you think that's wise?"

"We've got to find out who's doing this. Maybe they left a clue." Cash bent down and studied the burgundy brick lying on the living room carpet. "I doubt they'll get a fingerprint off this. Its surface is too rough." He glanced at his buddy. "After the police are finished, take Mom to Paige's. I'll get started on the window. It's supposed to rain tonight. Over dinner, we'll finish our fact list."



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a slashed tire. I met my new six year olds. I'm sure it will be an interesting year. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.