Romance Fiction posted August 18, 2013 Chapters:  ...56 57 -58- 59... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New surprises.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 12, part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:
Mary Pat brought a chair closer to Paige. "Any success with your research?"

Paige looked up from the diary. "It's full of chicanery and mistrust."

"What do you mean?"

"Alice wrote about scalawags and thieves. They cheated widows and their children out of their inheritance. The so-called honest, caring Southern gentleman's a myth."

"That's pretty harsh coming from a Northerner. Yankee Carpetbaggers backed by crooked politicians made life rough for the Southerners after the Civil War. That made it difficult for the South to rebuild." Mary Pat glared at Paige. "The Southern gentleman is not a myth. I found one in Billy Joe, and you can have one too if you open your eyes and take a good honest look at Cash."

"Every man I've met is just after my money, even Cash."

"For your sake, I hope you don't really believe that. Cash Wilkins is as honest as the day is long. I wouldn't hesitate to trust him or Billy Joe with my life." Mary Pat left the room without another word.

TODAY'S POST:


Paige sat on the couch and fingered the pages of Alice's diary. Could Mary Pat be right? Can she and the guys be interested in me and not my money? My intuition says she is. She closed the book and set it on the table.

Cash walked in. "I have three Gothic Revival wallpaper samples. You need to choose one." He handed them to her.

Accepting the swatches, Paige glanced at them. "I don't like wallpaper. Is painting possible?"

"Not really. Period parlors had wallpaper."

After Paige glanced at them, she frowned. "These are gaudy. This one is actually covered with pineapples." She held it up, and then the next one. "If this one covered the walls, I'd feel like the flowers were devouring me."

"Maybe I'd better get wallpaper samples from 1860-1900. They're a little softer. I need to get back to work. With all the extra stuff going on, I'm behind." Cash faced the door and spoke over his shoulder, "After I finish sanding the floors, I'll get different samples. I want to place the order so there won't be any waiting time."

"Cash, wait." Paige paused a moment. "Have you seen Mary Pat?"

"I saw her in the kitchen. Why?"

"No reason." After Cash left the room, Paige adjusted the crutches so she could stand. I need to apologize. What if she won't accept it?

Morgan followed her into the kitchen.

Nala smiled. "What brings you in here?"

"Have you seen Mary Pat?"

"She went out the back. Do you want me to get her?"

"No." Paige glanced at her crutches. "I can do it." She headed to the back porch.

Paige stood and searched the yard. Seeing Mary Pat by an oak tree, she gingerly started down the steps.

Morgan leaped down, turned, and barked.

After stopping to adjust a crutch, Paige continued hobbling down. "You're proud of yourself, aren't you?" The pup jumped up and down. "You're a silly boy."

Mary Pat walked to Paige. "You're really good with crutches. I would've fallen getting down those." She pointed toward the steps. "What are you doing out here?"

"Looking for you." Paige avoided eye contact. "I wanted to apologize about what I said earlier."

"No reason to. I understand the pressure you've been under. Almost everybody you've met wants something. I can promise Cash, Billy Joe, and I do not. We could care less if you have money or not. Billy Joe and I go from paycheck to paycheck, but we're happy."

"I realize that." Paige searched the area. "Is there a place to sit out here?"

"There's a bench by the flower garden on the south side of the house. The ground's uneven. Let me help. It's a beautiful day."

*****
After the two women sat on the bench, Paige faced her friend. "Cleve wasn't the first man interested in my family's money. I don't think I can count all the people. Both men and women fill the list."

"I've only known you for a short time, but you're already a close friend." Mary Pat hesitated. "I can tell by the way Cash looks at you that he's interested in more than just friendship."

"Cash's a wonderful man. I'd hate to lose him, but I'm not ready for a serious relationship."

"He'll wait."

A gust of wind blew. "Boy, that was strong." Paige brushed hair from her face and held on to the falling crutch. "How do you know he'd be willing to wait?" She glanced toward Morgan as he barked and ran off. "What's he up to?"

"I can't see him. The tree's in the way."

"Morgan! Come here, boy. Morgan!" Paige smiled. "Good boy." She petted his head. "What's in your mouth? Give it to me."

The pup dropped a cap in his mistress's hand. "Good boy." Paige turned it over. "This looks like an Army hat."

"It's a Confederate hat." Mary Pat held it and touched the emblem. "We'd better show the guys. I wonder where it came from? Do you think the wind blew it here?" She walked over to where Morgan had disappeared to. "I don't see anything or anybody."

*****
As the women entered the parlor, Cash stared at what Mary Pat carried in her hand. "What's that?"

"Morgan found it outside. It looks like it belongs with a Confederate Uniform." Mary Pat handed it to Cash. "We don't know where it came from."

Cash pointed to the jewelry and the Civil War artifacts setting on a table. "Mom's friend, Bart just dropped these off. They're authentic. I bet the hat is too. These things are valuable. Bart left an estimate of worth beside each item."

Billy Joe walked past the ladies. "Paige, I'm gonna borrow an easel and some paper."

Mary Pat watched her husband leave the room. "Anybody know what he's up to?"

"We were just discussing that we need to make a chart of what we know and what we suspect and who the players are." Cash scratched his head. "I'm guessing he's getting started."

The three heads turned when they heard a crash. Cash and Mary Pat ran toward the sound. Paige hobbled after them. When they reached the kitchen, Nala stood by some broken plates.

"Are you all right?" Cash put his arm around her and led her to a chair.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Paige." Nala stared at the door. "I just saw that Confederate hat float through the back door. Morgan chased it to the door."



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of an 1830-1860 wallpaper sample. School starts for teachers on the 19th. I had wanted to finish this novel during the summer, but life happens. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.