Romance Fiction posted July 21, 2013 Chapters:  ...54 55 -56- 57... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash meets Paige's fiance.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 12, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
END OF PREVIOUS POST:
At the top of the steps, Paige heard Morgan growling. "I wonder what that's about. It's unusual for him to growl."

A man opened the door. "I thought I heard your voice." He glared at Cash. "What's your arm doing around my fiancee'?"

The pup stood between the man and Paige and continued to growl and snarl.

Paige's eyes widened. "How did you find me?"

TODAY'S POST:

Cash's eyes met Paige's then the man's. "I didn't know Paige had a fiance'. But one thing I'm sure of, she's not too happy you're here." He turned toward Paige. "Who's this guy?"

"Let's get inside first." Paige ignored the man as she passed him. What's he doing here? I made myself clear. I never wanted to see him again.

With Cash's assistance, Paige sat on the parlor couch. As the man tried to sit beside her, Morgan jumped up and snapped at his hand.

Paige grabbed his muzzle. "No! Boy! You can't do that." I wish I could let you bite him. She patted the vacant seat by her. "Cash, do you mind? I wouldn't want my puppy getting into trouble."

Cash sat, petted the dog, and winked at Paige. "Me either." He sighed. "Paige, what's going on?"

"Everybody, this is Cleveland Clover." She glanced around the room. "Cleve, this is everybody. Now, what are you doing here?"

Billy Joe jumped up. "I thought ya looked familiar. Ya're Cleve Clover, driver of the number ninety-one car. Wow! Right here in this livin' room. How do ya know Paige?"

"I told you she's my fiancee."

"I am not!" Paige said through clenched teeth as she glared at him. Breathe. Patience, you don't want to make a scene. "I broke off the engagement, don't you remember?"

"Just because you flushed the engagement ring down the toilet, doesn't mean the engagement's off." He took a small black velvet box from his pocket.

Mary Pat laughed. "Flushed it? You must've been really mad."

"I was."

"Don't you want to see what I have in the box?" Cleve opened the box, revealing a diamond ring.

"I'm not interested." Paige petted Morgan, then touched Cash's hand.

Billy Joe tapped his chewed toothpick on the side of his chair. "Now, I remember. Last week the news reported that ya lost your ride. Did ya?"

"What does that mean? He drove up in a red car?" Nala frowned.

Paige eyed Cleve but answered Nala, "It means the sponsors or financial backers of his Sprint Cup car left him high and dry." She shook her head. "Hmmm, isn't the Brickyard 400 this weekend? Now, I know why you're here. Your pretty little blonde wouldn't fund your car?"

"Come on, Paige, don't make me beg." Cleve's eyes met Paige's. "Don't you remember what we meant to each other?"

"What I remember is how it felt when I surprised you in Talladega. Then I discovered she wasn't the first or the second. You seemed to have females waiting in every town where there's a race. I was the only one who didn't know about it."

Suddenly the small velvet box dropped to the floor.

Cleve bent to pick it up, but it moved from his reach. "What?"

Mary Pat smiled at Paige.

Paige nodded.

Cleve sat straight, glanced down at the box, then continued, "But it was the pain pills that caused my behavior. I've cleaned up."

"This was after your fourth rehab stay. All of which I funded by the way." Paige watched the box move farther away from Cleve.

"You never did understand how close to death I came in that accident."

"According to your doctor, you had whiplash and your chest was bruised from the harness." Paige raised herself with her crutches. "I think it's time you should leave. I'm not giving you money, so there's no reason to stay." She started to walk away, but stopped and turned. "One more thing, did you lose your sponsors because of the pain pills? You must've tested hot." She waited for his reaction. Getting none, she asked, "How did you find me? Did my mother tell you?"

"I'm not leaving until you listen." Cleve stood.

Morgan barked and snapped at his pant leg.

When Cleve kicked at the puppy, he fell. He glanced around as if he expected to see somebody.

"Ya're pretty clumsy for a Sprint Cup driver." Billy Joe put the toothpick in his mouth.

"Somebody tripped me." Cleve blinked a few times.

Cash stood beside him. "You can leave by choice or I'll help. Either way, the lady told you to leave."

"You're a country boy. You can't do anything to me."

"Watch me!" Cash put one hand around the back of Cleve's neck, the other at the back waist band of his pants, half pushed, and half carried him to the door. "Billy Joe, get the door for me." On the porch, Cash tossed him down the stairs. "You're not welcome here, so I wouldn't come back."







Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a chocolate Labrador puppy. Morgan wants to bite this Cleve guy. I tried to come up with a Sprint Cup car number that body has. I hope I did. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.