Romance Fiction posted July 14, 2013 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige gets her cast and crutches.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 12, part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
CHAPTER TWELVE

The sun shining through the window woke Paige. After checking the time, she noticed a note where Cash had slept.
Went to see Mom. Be back in time to take you to the doctor.
Cash
PS The mutt's been out and fed.


Mary Pat entered the room. "I thought I heard you moving. Do you want to eat or get dressed first?"

"I guess get dressed. I feel like I've been run over by a bulldozer. A hot shower might help. How are you feeling?" Paige rubbed the back of her head.

"A shower helped, but I'm pretty sore and stiff myself." Mary Pat moved closer and took Paige's arm. "Nala and I have the upstairs back in order. While you're at the doc's, we'll work on the downstairs."

"I appreciate all you've done. Those thieves should be made to clean up their own mess."

Mary Pat laughed. "If we could pull it off, it'd be great."

After her friend helped her into the bathroom, Paige glanced in the mirror. "Ugh, I look terrible." She touched her bruised cheek. Ouch! He hit me each time he asked about the treasure. I would've told him if I knew. I may never know.


*****
When Cash walked in, Billy Joe, Mary Pat, and Paige sat at the dining room table. Paige's foot was resting on an extra chair.

Nala smiled. "You look like you could use another cup of coffee?"

Cash glanced at his watch. "We have a few minutes before we need to leave." He sat beside Paige. "You ready?"

Paige nodded. "I can't wait to get my crutches. I need to be able to get around by myself." She took a bite of a bagel. "Did you learn anything from your mom?"

"Ann Wilkins-Bookman's only related because my great, great, great, great, grandpa is her brother." Cash laughed. "I have no clue how many greats. I'd say that's pretty far down the list, wouldn't you?"

"I'm beginning to think everybody in Savannah's related." Paige took a sip of tea and bite of cantaloupe. "Later today, I'm planning to read more of Alice's diary. I'm sure that's where the secrets lie."

Cash gulped his coffee and stood. "Let's get the cast and crutches." He held the chair for Paige.


*****
Inside the doctor's office, Cash helped Paige onto the examination table. Dr. Marc Henderson studied Paige's face and arms, then asked, "Mr. Wilkins, we could save time if you'd pick up Ms. Swanson's crutches?" After Cash nodded, the doc glanced at Paige. "How tall are you?"

"Five feet-five inches."

Marc turned to Cash. "They'll ask the height of the patient. You'll need to go to the third floor, room three twenty-five." He wrote a few things on a prescription pad. "Take this with you." After Cash left the room, Dr. Henderson smiled at Paige and stood. "I'll be right back. I need to have the portable X-ray machine moved here. Before I put on the cast, I want to make sure it's started healing and aligned correctly." He left the room.

When Marc returned, he said, "The machine's on its way. How did you get so bruised up? You were beaten, weren't you?"

"Yesterday afternoon, my house was broken into. My friend, Mary Pat, and I were beaten and tied up. Cash and her husband, Billy Joe, found us tied up in an old mud room."

"You've got to be kidding. This is Savannah. That type of crime doesn't happen here."

"No. It seems my house is supposed to have some kind of hidden treasure. I don't know anything around that house that might be considered a treasure." Paige glanced up when a male nurse wheeled in the machine.

The doctor moved aside so it could be set up by the examination table. He waited, then adjusted Paige's ankle. "This will only take a second." Other adjustments were made to either the machine's placement or the ankle and more X-rays taken.

The three waited in an awkward silence while the films processed. Finally, the doctor glanced at the films. "They're good. We can continue." He waited until the nurse removed the machine, then restudied the films. "I can't believe your ankle has started to heal so fast. You're making amazing progress." He paused at a knock on the door. "Come in."

Detective Davis and his partner entered. Det. Davis glanced at Paige. "Dr. Henderson, your office called and said you have a possible domestic violence victim in your office?"

"Yes. I think Ms. Swanson's in an abusive relationship with Mr. Wilkins. Can't you tell how battered, she is?"

"I've told you before Cash isn't abusing me." She glared at Marc, then at Detective Davis. "Tell this man that somebody broke into my house yesterday. This needs to be settled once and for all. Cash would never hurt me."

The detective studied Paige then glanced at the doctor. "She's right. Mr. Wilkins and Mr. Johnson have solid alibies for the time of the break-in and the battering of the victims."

The four turned their heads at a knock on the door. Cash walked in carrying two crutches. He scanned the room. "What's going on?"

"The doctor seems to think you've been beating me. He called the police. Detective Davis and his partner got the call."

Cash's jaw clenched and the veins in his neck bulged. "I hope you've all agreed that I haven't laid a hand on Paige."

Paige held her breath sensing the forced calmness in Cash's voice. After she released the breath, she said, "Now that this is settled, can we get on with the cast? It seems like I've already waited for years."

"Let's get started." Marc washed his hands and then put gloves on. "The X-rays showed your break's healing very nicely."

Detective Davis sighed. "Doc, if you're satisfied Mr. Wilkins isn't abusing Ms. Swanson, we're leaving."

Without looking up, the doctor said, "Thank you for coming so quickly and have a nice day." He continued removing the temporary cast.

Neither Doctor Henderson nor Cash looked at nor spoke to each other.


*****
Paige sat in Cash's truck and stared at the bright red Dodge Viper parked in front of her house. "Do you know anybody who drives a Viper?"

"Nope."

"You don't need to get snippety. When Marc thought you'd broke my ankle, I told him you'd never hurt me and I told him again today."

"At least one person believes it."

"Cash, Davis said you were innocent."

"But he still checked my alibi."

Paige reached over and touched his hand. "I trust you."

He studied the steering wheel. "That means a lot." He gave her hand a squeeze. "Let's get inside and see what's going on."

"I can do this by myself." Paige used the crutches to get out of the truck and walked up the sidewalk. When she came to the steps, she struggled. "This is harder than it looks."

"Let me help before you break your neck." Cash shook his head before he put his arm around her waist and raised her. "Little-Miss-Do-Everything- Yourself."

At the top of the steps, Paige heard Morgan growling. "I wonder what that's about. It's unusual for him to growl."

A man opened the door. "I thought I heard your voice." He glared at Cash. "What's your arm doing around my fiancee'?"

The pup continued to growl and snarl as he stood between the man and Paige.

Paige's eyes widened. "How did you find me?"




Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of question marks. Although, Morgan is taking over this story, I felt Cash and Paige are still trying to find answers to questions. Thank you for reading and reviewing. My chapters are divided into usually 4 parts for FS. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is NOT meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.