Romance Fiction posted June 30, 2013 Chapters:  ...51 52 -53- 54... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
More information is revealed.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 11, part 4

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
The crime scene team entered the parlor, and one of the men said, "We finished upstairs. Boy, whoever did this sure made a mess of things, didn't they?" He glanced out a window. "I guess a summer storm blew up. Maybe it'll cool things off."

"I hope it does cool things down." Paige glanced around the room. "As for the room, it'll take a while to get it back in order."

Thunder clapped, and Morgan climbed on Paige.

"Mr. Cash, why don't you help Paige upstairs?" Nala walked toward the stairs. "I'll get her ready for a bath and then pick up the room."

"I'll help, then take a bath later." Mary Pat petted Morgan's head. "Storms are scary, aren't they boy?"

Paige's eyes switched from Nala to Mary Pat. "You two shouldn't have to clean up this mess."

"You can't do it." Mary Pat pointed to Paige's broken ankle.

Cash bent down to lift Paige. "I think Morgan can make it up the stairs. He's had plenty of practice." After taking a few steps toward the stairs, Cash turned to make sure the pup followed. "Good boy."

After Cash set Paige on the edge of the bed, he bent and picked up some papers. "It's your turn to do your thing." He grinned at Mary Pat and Nala. "Have fun."

Both women waited until Cash left the room, then helped Paige undress except for the undergarments. With one on each side, they helped her into the bathroom.

"The bubble bath and candles are in the cabinet." Paige pointed to the cupboard under the sink. "Mary Pat, and you too, Nala, can help yourselves any time."

Mary Pat opened the door. "Oh my!"

Morgan barked and ran into the bedroom.

"Look!" Mary Pat held a folded hand-towel with brooch, mother-of-pearl hair-comb, and a mourning necklace. "Why didn't you tell me this was here? I can think of better places to keep my jewelry."

Nala's placed her hands on her hips. "When I cleaned in here this morning, they weren't there."

"Let me see." Paige held out her hand, then turned her head at the sound of a man's laughter. "Did you hear that?"

"I sure did." Mary Pat opened the door. "Billy Joe, it's not funny!"

Nala leaned over Mary Pat. "I know those two are out there."

The two women walked into the bedroom and scanned it. Again, the sound of thunder and a man's laughter filled the room.

"Somebody tell me what's going on." Paige leaned against the door.

"I heard it again, but there's nobody here." Mary Pat stood in the center of the room.

"It's probably Bradley Bookman. He's harmless and likes to play games. Thunderstorms are his favorite type of weather."

"You're telling me a ghost's laughing?" Mary Pat stood beside her friend.

Paige nodded. "Yes, I am." She studied the brooch. "I've read about this in Alice Bookman's diary. Have the guys bring it here."

Mary Pat left to get the men.

Nala grabbed Paige's robe. "You best put this on or Mr. Cash'll be blushing for days."

Paige quickly complied, then glanced in the full length mirror. "Think it's long enough?" Her fingertips touched the hem against her thigh.

"It covers your rear-end but not much else." She nodded. "It'll be fine. I like the blue color. It highlights your eyes."

Cash walked in first and his eyes went immediately to Paige. "I see you dressed for the occasion."

Billy Joe followed behind, smiled, and tried to hide his chuckle. He tipped his toothpick at Paige. "Where's the stuff you found?"

Both men studied the objects.

Paige searched for the page in the diary. Once she found it, she showed her friends the drawing. "Alice drew this. Doesn't it look exactly like the brooch?" She read from the diary. "The brooch has chipped diamonds surrounding six turquoise stones on a rectangle that surround a large diamond in the center. There are two diamond chips on each side of the large one."

"I guess that describes it. It isn't too clear." Mary Pat frowned.

"I don't think Alice was well educated." Paige continued, "Listen to this. 'Bradley's mother gave me this on our wedding day. She said her mother-in-law gave it to her on her wedding day. I'm the fourth generation to own it. I'll pass it to my daughter-in-law on her wedding day. I'm not sure I'm worthy of such a valuable piece of jewelry.'" Paige wiped a tear. "Isn't that the sweetest thing?"

"Who hid them under your sink?" Billy Joe searched under the sink. "There's no more."

Mary Pat grinned. "I'd say Bradley Bookman."

Paige continued studying the brooch and touched the stone. "Turquoise is believed to be a holy stone and is used for getting rid of negative energy. Its color is supposed to be a symbol of happiness and to increase a person's self-confidence. I find it very interesting that women gave this brooch to the young ladies marrying their sons." She sighed. "I wonder why Bradley wanted us to find this now."

"And where did the tradition get broken and why?" Mary Pat hugged Billy Joe.

Cash rubbed the back of his neck. "You guys aren't falling for Paige's ghost stories, are you?"




Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a brooch, similar to the one Mary Pat found. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.