Romance Fiction posted June 23, 2013 Chapters:  ...50 51 -52- 53... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
New information is revealed.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 11, part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
END OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Not really. I found some jewelry, a few Civil War bills and a button. I took them to a friend of my mother's to be authenticated."

"Is that all?" The older officer studied Cash and took some notes.

Paige opened the blue binder. "If you would like to see it, I have the receipt. The gentleman's supposed to return them tomorrow afternoon."

TODAY'S POST:

All heads turned at the sound of a repeated knock on the door. Nala went to answer with the older officer following. Cash stepped into the hall and watched.

Paige stared at the doorway. Now what?

Nala and the officer escorted a two men and one woman crime scene lab team into the parlor.

The team leader, a lady in her mid-thirties, glanced at the officer. "Where should we start?"

"Would you go upstairs first so we can get the women comfortable and out of the way?" Cash motioned to Paige and Mary Pat. "After you're finished upstairs, we'll move up there and let you finish with the downstairs."

The older officer nodded. "Go ahead. I think we're finished. Let me know if you find anything interesting. Come on, Chuck."

The younger man followed his partner from the house.

Once the friends were alone, Paige held up Morgan. "You did your best to protect us, didn't you? It won't be long before you'll be large enough to be a great protector." She glanced toward the parlor door. "Think anybody can hear us?"

Cash walked to the door and scanned the area. "Nobody's out here. Why?"

Paige chewed her lip. "We'd better talk softly. I thought the older cop was picking on you and Billy Joe, especially you. Any ideas why?"

Nala took a business card from her apron pocket. "When he arrived, he gave me this. It says his name's Detective James Davis. See? Do you know any Davises?" She held it out for Cash.

"There's a whole herd of Davises over by the fishin' place off Oak Hill Road." Billy Joe readjusted his cap.

"I went to high school with a Davis." With his cell phone out, Cash pushed a button. "Mom, aren't the Davises somehow related to the Walkers?" He listened. "Thanks, Mom. I'll drop by in the morning." After putting his phone away, Cash paused. "My hunch is right. Davis' and the Walkers are related."

"Mary Pat, hand me that brown tattered book." Paige reached out her hand. When she held the book, she thumbed through pages. "Right here." She pointed as her friends hovered over her shoulder. Rebecca Bookman married Samuel Davis. They had seven children. Five were boys. I have a feeling our cop's from that line. Would somebody tell me why they have a problem with me living here?"

"I think it's about time we ask." Billy Joe chewed his toothpick. "It just might help."

Mary Pat set her empty glass on a table. "They sure don't want you living here, but that guy had a problem with Cash in particular." She frowned at Cash. "Have you met him before?"

"Not that I know of." Cash answered his ringing cell phone. "What? Repeat that again. I don't think I heard you correctly." He paused. "You've got to be kidding?"

The three watched Cash put his phone away.

Billy Joe pointed his tooth pick and asked, "You gonna tell us what's goin on?"

Cash chuckled. "That was Bart. The handprint belongs to none other than James Davis Junior, the son of Detective Davis." He glanced at Billy Joe. "He went by Tyler Davis in high school."

"You're shittin' me?" Billy Joe plopped the tooth pick in his pocket. "Now what? Think that ol' fart knows his son's a thief?"

Mary Pat laughed. "There was bad blood between you and Tyler back then."

"I'm new around here. Would somebody fill me in?" Paige frowned.

"Tyler was expected to be the school's super jock. Cash got that honor." Mary Pat grinned. "Let's see, you also took Susie to prom. Didn't Tyler ask her first?"

"My favorite one's, Thursday afternoon after practice, the team was sittin' around the locker room. Cash laid back on the bench and said, 'Wouldn't it be funny if we painted the Wildcats' field blue?' Some of the team headed off to Augusta with cans of blue spray paint and did exactly that." Billy Joe laughed so hard, he couldn't continue.

Cash rubbed his forehead with his thumb and index finger.

"I'll finish the story." Mary Pat smiled. "We were playing Laney High on their homecoming that Friday night in Augusta. Our colors were blue and white. Their colors were red and gray. Tyler and a few of his friends broke into the Wildcats' stadium and spray painted the grass Savannah High blue." She glanced at her husband still laughing. "The police didn't see the humor in the prank and the boys were arrested. They had to do something like forty hours of community service. Tyler tried to name Cash as the instigator, but he was with the coach and a scout from University of Georgia. Needless to say, Tyler's parents were not too fond of Cash."

"It's beginning to make sense." Paige glanced at Cash. "Although you didn't recognize Detective Davis, he recognized you and still wants you to pay for the problems you caused his son during high school."

Cash stood. "I didn't cause his son any problems. He was lazy and didn't work-out during practice. He missed probably a third of the practices and didn't go to weight training during the summers. Who would've thought he'd take me seriously about painting the football field? Only an idiot." He slapped Billy Joe across the shoulder. "Quit laughing. It ain't funny."

"Buddy, it's downright hilarious."

Both women glanced at each other and broke out giggling.






Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a high school football game. I remember watching my brother play, then all four of my boys. I actually miss warming the bleachers. My husband and I are taking off Tuesday and will return Thursday for a short trip to Corpus Christi. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.