Romance Fiction posted June 16, 2013 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The police have questions.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 11, part 2

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find
END OF PREVIOUS POST:

The older officer studied Cash and Billy Joe. "Where were you guys when this happened?" He fingered his gun.

TODAY'S POST:

"We stopped at Micky D's for burgers, then went fishin'. That's when Nala called," Billy Joe answered.

"The same spot Cash and I found Morgan?"

Cash nodded. "Yep, we went there to fish not find orphaned mutts."

"Can anybody verify your whereabouts?" The officer's glare met Cash's.

"The workers at Micky D's." Billy Joe glanced at Cash. "You still have the ticket?" He waited for Cash to pull it from his jeans pocket. "See? It has the time we ordered on it. I can't remember anybody fishin' in the same spot. How about the Bait Shack? We bought some shad and sodas. If you wanta take a look-see, there's some still in the bucket in Cash's pick-up."

"A game warden checked our fishing licenses before we could get a line in." Cash took out his billfold. "Want to see mine?"

As the police officers stood, the older one said, "No, but we want to look around. The place's pretty torn up. Do you know if they found the jewelry?"

Both ladies shook their heads.

"Did you touch or move anything?"

Cash pointed to the drawer upside down on the table. "I set that there. I moved the mattress in the master bedroom, so I could get in." He paused. "Mary Pat's sandals and sunglasses. I think that's it. Oh yeah." Cash handed the older man the piece of glove. "Morgan tore this from a guy. Do you need us anymore? I want these two to be checked out by a doctor."

"I think going to a doctor's ridiculous." Mary Pat removed the ice pack from the back of her head.

Paige sighed. "Cash, you're being bossy again. We're fine. Just let us rest a while and take a long hot bubble bath." She glanced at Mary Pat. "This house has four bathtubs. Take your pick. I have numerous scented bath oils and candles."

After making a note in his book, the older police officer nodded to his partner. "This way first."

Billy Joe grabbed Mary Pat's arm and forced her out of hearing range. "Come here. We need to talk." Animated whispering continued.

Cash rubbed the back of his neck, before he glared at Paige. "You have a nasty bump on your head. Your face and arms are bruised. I'm sure your ankle needs attention." He released a deep breath. "How are you going to take a bubble bath? You can't put your leg in water."

With her leg raised in the air, Paige gave a weak grin. "I'll hang it over the edge. I had plenty of time to think about it while I waited to be rescued." She stuck out her tongue. "You forgot the nasty bite on my tongue. It must have happened when I was hit."

Billy Joe put his hand on Cash's shoulder. "Takin' her over your knee and paddlin' her'll only get you in trouble. I thought if I'd convince Mary Pat to go, Paige'd follow. My wife's as stubborn as a grand pappy mule. Sound thinkin' is lost on these two."

"Can you wait until the police leave before your baths?" Cash glanced at both ladies.

"I think so." Mary Pat reached for Paige's hand. "You haven't eaten since lunch. You hungry?"

"No, but I could use a drink."

Billy Joe stood. "I'll get drinks for everybody."

Nala followed. "I'll help and bring in a few things to nibble on."

Paige watched Billy Joe and Nala leave the room, then her gaze turned toward Cash. "Why's this happening?"

"I'm not sure." He took her hand. "I'm guessing there's folklore that some precious jewels were hidden around here. To be honest I've never heard anything about it. They started building it about 1850. It took a few years to complete."

"That was before the Civil War, right?" asked Mary Pat.

Cash nodded. "Yep. Many people hid their possessions when they heard Sherman's troops were headed this way. Jewels could be hidden anywhere."

"But it's been," Paige paused, "over one hundred fifty years. Wouldn't somebody have found them by now?"

"You'd think so." Cash glanced up when Billy Joe and Nala returned with lemonade, sandwiches, crackers and cheese, and an assortment of fresh fruit.

After everybody was served, Paige frowned. "Since they wore gloves there won't be any fingerprints. We'll never know who did this."

The younger officer stepped into the room. "We found a muddy shoe print on the back porch. That's something."

"Why didn't I think of this earlier?" Cash stood. "Somebody broke into the house a few nights ago. They left a handprint on the hood of Paige's Jaguar. I had a P.I. lift the print and run it." Taking out his cell phone, he searched for the number. "Bart, Cash here. Have you heard anything about that handprint?" He listened for a minute. "The house was broken into again and this time the women were tied up. We need to find out who this is before somebody gets seriously hurt." After putting his phone away, Cash said, "He's calling his friend to see if the results are back."

The older officer stood beside his partner and said, "We should be able to drop you from our suspect list. We'll check with the game warden and the crime lab people will take your prints. We'll need to deduct them from the scene. I know they wore gloves but maybe one of them became careless, especially after part of the glove was bitten off."

After checking his notes, he continued, "As far as the jewelry goes, in a house this size and age there could be hundreds of places to stash it. Are there tunnels here? Most of these old places had a tunnel network under them."

"I'm sure there are some. We haven't found any yet," interrupted Paige. "The men found at least one secret passageway between floors. Cash sealed it before we could investigate."

The older officer glared at Cash. "Why'd you do that?"

"To shut off ways to get from the downstairs into Paige's bedroom without anybody knowing. I put padlocks on the doors. If you want the keys, I have them." Cash reached into his pocket and produced the keys.

"Have any of you found anything unusual that burglars would be interested in?" interjected the younger officer.

"Not really. I found some jewelry, a few Civil War bills and a button. I took them to a friend of my mother's to be authenticated."

"Is that all?" The older officer studied Cash and took some notes.

Paige opened the blue binder. "If you would like to see it, I have the receipt. The gentleman's supposed to return them tomorrow afternoon."





Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of crime scene tape and prints. I think there's too much going on to know what's happening. LOL Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. Summer vacation has started for me. I plan on writing more and reviewing more. Let's hope I can stick to my plan. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.