Romance Fiction posted June 10, 2013 Chapters:  ...48 49 -50- 51... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The girls are found.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 11, part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
END OF PREVIOUS CHAPTER:

"There's an old mudroom back there that nobody uses. It opens to the outside." Cash bent and picked up the other sandal. There better not be one mark on those two or one hair out of place.

TODAY'S POST:

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Cash released a deep breath. Please be in here and alive. Before his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he turned the rusted, loose doorknob. Was that growling?

Only a dim light came from Billy Joe's flashlight.

Bending down, Cash petted Morgan's head. "Where's the girls? Are they all right?"

Morgan barked, turned, and trotted toward the back of the narrow, long room.

I swear that mutt speaks English. Stifled moans and grunts came from the direction the puppy went. Cash followed the dog and the sounds. "Billy Joe, come on."

A few feet away, Morgan growled. "Where's that flashlight?" Cash put his hands out feeling for a wall.

"The battery's dead." Billy Joe shook it. "There's got to be a light switch in here." He swung his arms over his head, searching for a chain in case one hung from the ceiling.

"This room goes back a ways." Cash kept moving. "You search for a light. I'll keep walking." Again he heard growling. "Morgan, keep making noise. I'm close."

"I found a light switch," yelled Billy, turning it on.

On the damp cement floor, sat Paige and Mary Pat, their hands tied behind their backs, knees bent to their chests and ankles tied. Cloth gags were in their mouths. The girls were cramped side-by-side in a narrow space between the wall and a broken sink. Morgan growled trying to chew through the rope that tied Paige's ankles together.

"They're back here." Cash untied the dirty rag from Paige's mouth. "You're safe now."

Paige coughed. "I was afraid you wouldn't find us."

Cash removed the knife from its belt sheath and sliced through the rope around her ankles. "I bet that ankle isn't doing too well." He felt it. "It's swollen pretty bad. It needs ice, and the doc should look at it."

As Billy Joe did the same for his wife, he asked, "What happened?"

"Let's get them outta here then ask questions." Cash slashed through the rope around Paige's hands and lifted her. "You'll be more comfortable shortly."

"Cash, I'm sorry." Tears escaped her eyes.

"Shh, I know. You don't have to say anything." Cash moved her head to his shoulder, "It's all right," and kissed her forehead.

As the men carried the women through the kitchen, Nala walked in with two police officers. "I called them. I thought it's time we get the authorities involved."

"Nala, would you get Paige some ice for her ankle? Gentlemen, if you'd follow us. We need to get the ladies comfortable, and then you can ask your questions." Cash went into the parlor.

"Make that several ice packs. These two are pretty banged up," Billy Joe added as he followed Cash.

Once the women were sitting comfortably and with ice packs in place, Mary Pat took a deep breath and began, "Morgan alerted us, but we couldn't figure out why he was barking. I went outside to take a look-see and was hit from behind."

Both officers took notes. The older one glanced toward Paige.

"When Mary Pat didn't answer, I went to the door, and somebody hit me from behind. The next thing I remember we were tied up in that dungeon. The short man threw a bucket of water on us. He kept asking where the treasure was hidden." Paige rubbed the side of her face and cringed. "When I couldn't answer, he'd slap me. Then he said it's not in a treasure chest, but I knew where all the jewels were at." She wiped a tear. "I have no idea what he was talking about. Neither Aunt Paula nor Uncle Andrew ever said anything about treasure."

As the police continued to ask questions, Cash watched Paige. I wonder if the two necklaces I found in the closet are part of the jewels they were after? Paige'll go back to Boston for sure. Those bruises on her face gotta hurt. I'll kill whoever did this. After they're both checked by a doc, I'm fixing that room so this can't happen again.

"How many were there? Do you know who they were?" The older police officer's glance bounced between the two women.

Mary Pat glanced at Paige. "At least two?"

"There could've been more, but I only know of two. They wore masks. Like Mardi Gras masks."

"Can either of you remember anything that could help identify them?" asked the other officer.

"My puppy bit a piece of one of their gloves. The man's skin was white, but tanned." Paige petted Morgan's head.

"I think they were both white. I got a glimpse of their necks under the masks."

"Was there a dialect or anything different about the way they spoke? Could you identify them by their voices?"

Both ladies shook their heads.

Mary Pat added, "I doubt it. Their voices were normal."

"I agree." Paige reached out for Cash's hand.

The older officer studied Cash and Billy Joe. "Where were you guys when this happened?" He fingered his gun.



Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of a room close to what Paige and Mary Pat were kept in. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. Summer vacation has started for me. I plan on writing more and reviewing more. Let's hope I can stick to my plan. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.