Romance Fiction posted June 2, 2013 Chapters:  ...47 48 -49- 50... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cash and Billy Joe to the rescue?

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, part 8

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:
I wonder what's going on. Paige stared toward the door. I'm sure the guys are back and they're talking. She put a hand on the back of the couch, and one on the armrest as she propped herself to a standing position. Grabbing the back of a chair, she headed toward the door. I can't wait to get my crutches. She used the wall and the door frame to help her walk. "Mary Pat, you all right? Shhh, Morgan, I can't hear with you barking." When she didn't get an answer, she continued toward the front door. This can't be good.

As Paige shielded her eyes from the west sunlight, she stared out the screen door.

One hand grabbed her. Another went over her mouth. Off balance, she bit the hand and screamed.

"You bitch!" yelled a male voice. He slugged her, and she went down.

TODAY'S POST:

Cash glanced at his ringing cell phone. Why do I have this thing? He studied it and frowned. "A man can't even fish in peace."

"Ya goin'a answer?" Billy Joe cast his line.

"Don't recognize the number. Guess I'd better. But it's probably a telemarketer." Cash tapped a button. "Cash, here." He listened, before said, "We're on our way." He reeled in his line. "Nala went by the house. One of Mary Pat's shoes is in the yard and her sunglasses are on the steps. There's no sign of the girls."

Both men ran to Cash's truck.

*****
After parking half on and half off the curb, Cash and Billy Joe ran to the house. Nala stood at the door. Tears rolled down her cheeks. "After church, I came by 'cause I forgot my phone. I wanted to call my boys." She held up the sandal and sunglasses. "There's nobody here. The house's ransacked."

The men entered and scanned the area. Cash released a deep breath and picked up a drawer. "Damn!" He glanced at Nala. "Sorry. My gut said don't leave the women alone. I didn't listen." He set the drawer on an end table. This is my fault. Why'd I leave them alone? My temper and male pride is why.

Billy Joe walked toward the stairs. "Ya look up here?"

Nala shook her head. "I waited for you. I knew you'd know what to do."

"Let's go." Cash glanced at his buddy, then back at Nala. "Wait by my truck." He paused, watched until she walked through the door, then took two stairs at a time with Billy Joe following.

"Why ain't that mutt barkin'?"

"They might've killed him. He's already protective with Paige." Cash's eyes met his friend's eyes and he pointed. "You go that way and I'll go this way. You carrying?"

After a nod, Billy Joe walked toward the west side of the house.

Cash went into Paige's bedroom and tugged the mattress out of his way. Damn, they were thorough. No matter how aggravating Paige gets, I'll follow my gut. He raised his head and paused. God, I learned my lesson. Please keep the girls safe. He tilted his head toward the right. What's that? "Hey, Billy Joe, you making noise?"

"Nope, ya hear somethin'?" He walked into the Paige's room.

"Listen."

Both men stood still.

Cash pointed toward the nursery and whispered, "It's coming from in here."

Billy Joe nodded and followed.

As they stood in the center of the room, they scanned each section and listened.

"There ain't no noise in here."

"Shh!" Cash listened again. "There's a growl." He followed the sound.

"It's a branch hittin' the window."

Cash headed out the door. "It's coming from downstairs."

Both men ran to the kitchen. Cash glanced at the ceiling. "I think it's coming from over here." He paused and held his finger up. "Hear it?"

Billy Joe nodded and walked more to the left. "It's louder here."

Cash followed, listened, and kept walking. "It's from this area."

A door led to the laundry room. Once inside Cash picked up a piece of torn glove.

"We're headed the right direction," whispered Billy Joe.

"There's an old mudroom back there that nobody uses. It opens to the outside." Cash bent and picked up the other sandal. There better not be one mark on those two or one hair out of place.






Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of question marks. I think there's a questions that need to solved. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. Sorry, I draw this out so long but my paying job must come first. I have children for 4 more days and then 1 day to clean my room. Summer break is almost here. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.