Romance Fiction posted May 26, 2013 Chapters:  ...46 47 -48- 49... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paige and Mary Pat talk.

A chapter in the book Savannah Love

Chapter 10, part 7

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Paige was raised in Boston and inherited an antebellum house. Cash was hired to restore the house to authenticity. South vs. North as these two attempt to find love.
PREVIOUS POST:
"What about watching the house?"

"We'll watch from the outside and Mary Pat'll watch from the inside. Morgan'll let her know if any strangers come a'callin. I'm sure her pea-shooter's loud enough for us to hear." Billy Joe grinned. "You robbed me of a prime rib dinner. At least, you owe me a Big Mac. It'll do Paige good to worry a while."

TODAY'S POST:

After dinner was put away, Mary Pat pulled a chair beside Paige. "Let me know when you're hungry. I'll get you something. I heard you talking on the phone."

"It was Mom. She called earlier this afternoon. Marc showed up and I told her I'd call back. With everything that's happened, I forgot."

"Marc?"

"Dr. Henderson." Paige's eyes met her friend's. "Don't raise your eyebrows at me. He asked me to dinner, but I turned him down."

"Is everything all right back home?"

Paige nodded. "Mom has a feeling something's wrong here. In the morning, Daddy's flying to Brussels. He's going for business but wants Mom to come along. She thinks she needs to help me get settled. I told her to go with Daddy. She'll have fun. He'll be busy all day, but there are great little shops. She can shop all day and at night attend all the fancy dinner parties."

"Your mom's right. Things aren't great here."

"True. But nothing I can't handle. She doesn't need to worry."

"Did you really fire Cash?" After Paige nodded, Mary Pat asked, "What are you going to do about it?"

Paige sighed and shook her head. "I don't know. Any suggestions?"

"It depends. Do you want Cash in your life?"

Their eyes met and there was a long silence.

"He's very bossy." Paige chewed on her lower lip and turned away from Mary Pat.

"That's true." Mary Pat paused and studied her friend. "I've known him going on fifteen years. You're the first woman he's ever really shown an interest in."

Paige started to turn toward her friend then changed her mind. Maybe he's gay.

Mary Pat continued, "He's worried about your safety."

"He feels I'm too stupid to take care of myself." Paige faced Mary Pat. "Does he think all women are stupid or just Yankee women? Maybe he doesn't like women in general."

"Do you honestly believe that?"

Morgan nudged his owner's hand until she petted him. Paige used the back of her hand to wipe a stray tear. "Not really, but he's the most frustrating person I've ever met."

"That I'd agree with." Mary Pat laughed. "How do you plan to solve this problem?"

"I have no idea. I don't like guns or being told what I should do. Cash does both."

Mary Pat giggled. "Seduction always works with Billy Joe. Maybe it'll work with Cash. If you work it right, he'll come around to your way of thinking."

"You're married. Unless you call going on a ghost tour, attending church, and going fishing a date, Cash and I haven't been on a date. The fishing part was a disaster." Paige smiled and hugged the puppy. "I did find this little cutie there." She paused. "About a month ago, I ended my engagement. I'm not ready to date or have a man in my life."

Morgan stood and barked, and both women turned their heads.

"I heard Cash's truck leave while you were in the kitchen. Have the guys returned?" asked Paige.

Mary Pat stood, moved the curtain aside, and searched out the front window. "I don't see anything. You expecting company?"

"No."

Morgan growled and his hackles rose.

Paige rubbed his head. "What's wrong, boy?"

"I'll step out front and look around." Mary Pat left the parlor.

I wonder what's going on. Paige stared toward the door. I'm sure the guys are back and they're talking. She put a hand on the back of the couch, and one on the armrest as she propped herself to a standing position. Grabbing the back of a chair, she headed toward the door. I can't wait to get my crutches. She used the wall and the door frame to help her walk. "Mary Pat, you all right? Shhh, Morgan, I can't hear with you barking." When she didn't get an answer, she continued toward the front door. This can't be good.

Paige shielded her eyes from the west sunlight as she stared out the screen door.

One hand grabbed her. Another went over her mouth. Off balance, she bit the hand and screamed.

"You bitch!" yelled a male voice. He slugged her, and she fell to the ground.






Recognized


Thank you Google images for the photo of Morgan. Morgan alerts Paige and Mary Pat to danger. I thought he needed to headlined. Thank you for reading and reviewing. If you haven't read my previous posts, you'll be confused with this post. This is not meant to stand alone. Sorry, I draw this out so long but my paying job must come first. I have children for 8 more days and then 1 day to clean my room. Summer break is almost here. I appreciate you sticking with me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.